Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

I'm looking to do some testing of my sites with other, older browsers. Does anybody know where to get some of the older IEs, and if they can be run side-by-side with the newer one?

More recently I've written a bunch of code that works fine in IE6/Mozilla/Firebird/Netscape but when I checked it from an old computer with IE5, it was horribly goofed up.

Thanks!
    futureal@rctech.net | R/C Tech

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can install Windows 98 on a virtual machine. By default, it includes IE4.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    A virtual machine? Where?

Member #
    A virtual machine is actually software. A piece of VM software like VMWare will install itself on your hard drive, and take up a chunk of space that you specify (say 3GB). VMWare will take up a certain amount of your memory, and when you fire up VMWare, it's like it's own seperate computer. You'll need to install an OS on it, and it will have it's own seperate file system completely seperate from your main OS. Here's a description of VMWare from their website:
    What Is VMware Workstation?
    VMware Workstation is powerful virtual machine software for the desktop. Optimized for the power user, VMware Workstation runs multiple operating systems -- including Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Novell NetWare -- simultaneously on a single PC in fully networked, portable virtual machines. VMware Workstation provides more choice, greater flexibility, and more powerful functionality than any other virtual machine software in the marketplace today.

Member #
    OK, yea, I think I've heard of that before. Friends of mine use it for playing around with linux and such.

I guess I was looking more for a way to run browsers side-by-side on the same OS. Plus, I don't have Windows 98 available to me (all I have are a couple of copies of XP plus, of course, linux).

Member #
    That would be the way. It's usually not possible to run two versions of any software side by side, as the newer version updates and removes the older version. IE is this way. If you needed a copy of windows 98, I'm sure you could find it on the net somewhere. Here's an ebay auction for win98 for $45.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I was searching through the forum when I came upon this thread.

Just thought i would give everybody a heads up in case you are unaware that you can run multiple versions of IE from one machine. This site has packaged versions 3.0 - 6.0(elolas edition) of internet explorer set up as standalone browsers.

http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/

The only thing is since these browsers run entirly from the contents of their folders and dont offically install, featuers like favorites do not work.. but thats not be a problem if you are only useing them to check pages.

Member #
    I wouldn't worry about testing below 5.0 though as a very small population of the web still use the older IE versions.

Member #
    Yeah I agree with Riat_Sila. Especially IE4, I mean com'on who still uses that? Two people?

I would just worry about testing the major browsers such as IE6, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, FireFox, Safari, ect.

EDIT: Also, I think Windows 98 SE, which is the newer more popular version of win98 comes with IE5, so that further reduces your IE4 crowd.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    For some companies, it MATTERS if "two people" can't use their website.

For instance - www.etrade.com - you think it's "no big deal" if a customer of theirs can't use the site?

Think again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads