Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a site that is fine in most new browsers, however, I just discovered it isn't in Mozilla. I was just wondering if anybody had a quick idea why it wasn't working. The site is Oak Prairie Farms . The part that is messed up is every page but the homepage. I'd appreciate it. Thanks,
    JohnNunemaker.com
    “Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows.” - Zeldman
    Get Firefox | PHP | CSS | XHTML

Member #
    The site also is screwed up in opera 7. I used photoshop slices to put it together just because I had never used them and thought I would try them out. Does anyone think that is why?
    JohnNunemaker.com

Member #

Hello people,
    Here's your problem..its not photoshop...its your code :classic:

You seem you can be sloppy and/or somewhat lazy with your code for NN or IE, but with browswer such as Mozilla, Opera, and the new FireFox...u cant...

Especially firefox and mozilla. Both brownser read and export the code correctly. This means that just one error could mess up a whole page look. Try using dreamsweavers new tidyHTML or go use a program that has it as a plugin such as the free HTML editor "1st Page 2000". Just go to Google and type in "1st page 2000 download" and you should get an exact match.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks,
    Drew

Member #
    I took a quick look through your code and didn't see any errors, but that doesn't mean there are any. One missing closing tag will throw your site off. Something else you may want to try is not using the DIV's. You already divided your site using tables, so I dont see why you need to put DIV's in your table cells. Also, in Dreamweaver, go to Commands > Clean up HTML and see if DW finds any syntax errors.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The reason you are having issues is because you have padding on some of your elements.. although padding is not bad, when you combine it (or margins) with a mix-matched table/css based layout that incorporated sliced images such as you have with this site. Things start to go a little haywire. But honestly that what its supposed to do according to the css specification. IE just works to a different drummer and tries to interperate what it thinks the author was trying to do instead of 100% adhering to web standards. You can easily fix this and it wont adversly affect your site if you take out all padding, espeically padding on the sides(left and right) i have your site working perfectly by simply doing that. Also you might consider adding a Doctype to the beginning of each page befor the html tag, such as:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    This will keep your browser from working in quirks mode.(aka non standard mode)

Also take a closer look at your css as there are other errors as well. Such as a non closed css rule, a double center values for an attribute, and quotes missing around background-image: url("image.gif");, a few other small details..

Hope you were able to follow all of this, good luck.

Member #
    Thanks glyakk. I didn't even notice those errors and wouldn't have thought of the padding. I was just going to redo the site with php includes cause I new I could make it work this way. Now it will at least look decent until I do that. For some reason mozilla doesn't like to display classes correctly that use backgrounds. Does anyone know why? Is there a way around it. For now I am just using the <td background="">, which works, but you can't set the repeat options and such. Thanks,
    JohnNunemaker.com

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    it's hard to check for errors against the validator when you don't have a doctype ... like glyakk said.
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Remove Ads