Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm not really talking about Flash animations... I'm talking about layout and how it can seemingly match so well with the flashy graphics. I don't think I could ever "code" a page to look like these, even in format:

Click Me

Do they use something like Fireworks or Dreamweaver to put it all together ? I look at the source of some templates (that I grabbed somewhere) and it's crazy.

What's their secret ?

The more I think about it, the less I feel like doing it myself and would rather pay < $100 for this stuff. I know I'd be spending countless hours even trying to replicate something like this.

Member #
    well if you're someone just looking to put together a quick website for your company, friend, family, school, self ect., might as well save yourself the trouble and just buy the template.

But if you want to get into the web design field and/or do it for a living, than you have to start somewhere. You must have a solid foundation of the basics before you can start something like the designs you mentioned. Do that, and you'll be quickly overwhelmed and it will discourage you from advancing your skills. Start small and work your way up at your own pace, it'll save you time in the long run.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    I'm already in the web dev field but I'm not the greatest with graphics so it's not like I will ever be able to churn out these high quality pages.

What I really do want to know is how they form the layout so [seemingly] easily. Do they most likely use any specific editor that can do this all for them on a visual level or do they actually code all that ? If it's the former, what tool(s) ?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    adobe photoshop is what most people use. also macromedia fireworks.

make the body of it, then you cut it up and code the html for it.

for example... when you got to my site www.karinnelegault.com/en/ , i made that in photoshop (see attachement) then, i cut it up and code the html for it.

hth
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    They do look very nice...

However, they are graphic intensive, so they are actually pretty bad site templates, if site ever gets popular.

Also, the designer behind the sites probably went to a post-secondary insitution to learn PhotoShop techniques, and apply them to web design.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think templates mostly look like crap. They're all the same and thus have nothing to do with the specific website you're looking at.

If you look at architecture as a point of reference, there are plenty of beautiful, flashy buildings in a downtown area. The new thing is to add space-frames, steel trusses, and lots of glass for a look that's ultra-modern and high-tech. The problem is that much of that "look" is not real. A space-frame has a function - structure. If a space-frame is used in a non-structural way, it has no architectural significance, and makes the containing structure kitschy.

If the design of a website doesn't pertain to the function of the website, then the design is likewise kitschy.

Member #
    The reason I ask now is that I have a client who sent me a .bmp similar to one of those templates (can't find a match) and he wants me to modify it a bit to fit his needs.

So the desire to have one of those looks is there, but I haven't the first clue on how to put it together till now. I think I'll have to do as karinne suggests.

Member #
    hi rh71,
    well most of us in this forum are graphic designers, same goes for me.

like you mentioned you would be trying to make the base layout yurself, all the best, if u find it too tedious and wanna skip the effort, I could design and htmlise the same for you, mail me details, and we'll take it from there...

sounds good, reach me at raj_sheth@hotmail.com

all the best, cheers
    webdev

Remove Ads