Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I have been trying to redesign my site so that it conforms with XHTML standards, so the whole layout is done in CSS. What I have done so far looks fine in MSIE6, but it is a little weird in Firebird and even weirder in Opera. I want my site to be useable in as many situations as possible, so I dont want to use fixed positioning. Here is the page that goes weird:

http://networkplay.co.uk/index2.php

The orange bar at the top seems to seperate from the header, which is very annoying. Here is a link to the CSS file:

http://networkplay.co.uk/base.css

Any solutions would be appreciated

Member #
    Hi Lord B

You ought to consider whether you're using the right html first.

Yes use CSS layout. Make yourself a table for the broad stucture and specify the table properties in your stylesheet.

Within the table cells use your 'CSS layout' - floats, margin-top, margin-left and what not for the small scale.

I just say this because it seems a lot of CSS problems 'how do I implement a 3 col table in CSS?' arise from this bogus division between tables and CSS. Use them both I say. *end of toot to arms*

Member #
    I really want to have use a Strict complient layout, its sort of a challenge I have set myself. Thanks for the advice though

Member #
    Hurray! It seems to have sorted itself out now! Well in Firebird anyway, but me and Opera have never got along, although it isnt as screwd up in Opera as it was, and is actually quite useable. Go Firebird and the open source movement, pat on the back for MSIE6 for never breaking in the first place, and boo to Opera, you silly, silly browser.

Remove Ads