Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    OK, I'd consider myself very fluent in HTML / CSS etc but don't have a clue about XML (it's just one of those things I haven't had time to pay attention to yet). I'm able to do everything I want with good old HTML at the moment but I'm wondering whether it's worth learning XML as well.

So my questions are...

is XML really worth knowing?
    is it hard to learn if you know HTML inside out?
    do you know of any good online tutorials?

Cheers in advance for your help.

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm not too sure what it is but I'm pretty sure its more business-driven that anything else, is that what you want?
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    XML is extremely easy. If you know HTML fluently, you can easily learn XHTML, which is a combination of (obviously) XML and XHTML.

XML is a useful skill to have and it seems like a lot of companies are starting to use it for data processing as it helps organize information. The other power of XML comes from the fact that you can create custom tags. XML can be paired with more advanced languages like Java and of course, databases.

I've never used any online XML tutorials so I'm not sure if there are any good ones.
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    youre right, i knew HTML and learnt XHTML in like a weekend!
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    Can't say whether you should learn it or not. But if you decide to check it out, my advice is not to buy a book that claims to teach you 'XML' . It's too big a subject. Most questions in the google forum about XML relate to XSLT, the xml translator language (outputting html for example).

Anyway if you're interested, XSLT by Michael Kay (second edition) seems to be the standard book on the subject judging by the forum references - well written too.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I have the XSLT 2nd Edition book by Michael Kay. It's outstanding.

Here's what I suggest you learn (in this order):

#1 - XML (Extensible Markup Language)

There's not much to it, other than some basic rules, such as naming conventions, illegal characters, prefix conventions, and element and attribute conventions. Basically, XML is just a strict markup language basis, like XHTML. It has no defined "tags" (better known in XML as "elements"), though, which is the meaning of extensible.

#2 - XSD (XML Schema Definition)

XSD is a very simple markup language that is used to define an XML standard (schema). It looks a lot like HTML, but with different elements. For instance, it has the <element> element, which allows you to define an element for your standard (e.g. <table> is an HTML element). It also has the <attribute> element, which allows you to define an attribute for an element (e.g. cellpadding="0" is an attribute for the <table> element). It also has <enumeration> elements, allowing you to create an enumerated element or attribute (e.g. valign="top" - - "top" is an enumerated value). It's got quite a bit more, but is really easy to learn (at a basic level, anyway).

#3 - DOM (Document Object Model)

DOM allows you to access any XML document (including HTML) programatically via Javascript, Java, PHP, or any other DOM capable language, as a heirarchical data structure. VERY powerful.

#4 - XSLT (XML Stylesheet Language - Transformation)

XSL-T is a very is a good thing to know, but not a necessity for using XML. It allows you to transform your XML documents into any other type of document you want. For instance, you could transform this:
    Code:
    <cd name="The Eminem Show" artist="Eminem">
        <track number="1" name="Hi, My Name Is" />
        <track number="2" name="White America" />
        <track number="3" name="The Real Slim Shady" />
    </cd>
    into this:
    Code:
    <h1>Eminem</h1>
    <h2>The Eminem Show</h2>
    <table>
        <tr>
            <td>1</td>
            <td>Hi, My Name Is</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td>2</td>
            <td>White America</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
            <td>3</td>
            <td>The Real Slim Shady</td>
        </tr>
    </table>

Member #
    So what it basically does is letting you define your own tags, and how they would be written in HTML?

Member #
    letting you define your own tags - is the basic idea behind XML. Formalizing this definition is XSD.

how they would be written in HTML - is the basic idea behind XSLT. Making use of XML otherwise is the DOM model.

Remove Ads