Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

MOB
    Member #
    Can anyone help me in creating a message board for my web site?

Does anyone know any helpful coding that can be used in the creation of message boards?

Does anyone have any tips on creating message boards?

Does anyone know any resource web sites I can use for help in creating message boards?

I have never created a message board before so the help would be well appreciated.

Thankyou,

Matt (MOB)

Member #
    Instead of writing your own, there are software packages that you can install that are complete forums.

www.phpbb.com (free)
    www.yabbforum.com (free)
    www.vbulletin.com is what this forum runs on (not free)
    www.invisionboard.com (not free)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    invisionboard is free spluf, it's just more difficult to get it free, you have to look for the "free trial version" it basically is invisionboard -support. It says it will add a line and excludes features, it doesn't.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

MOB
    Member #
    Does anyone have a preference?

I want to go with something that is free at first, but after looking on the web sites they all seem like very good packages.

So I am not sure which one to opt for.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be well appreciated.

KRA.CO.UK Limited - York Web Design Company

Matthew O'Brien - Web Developer

Member #
    I thought it was free, but when I looked at their site I saw purchase instructions...owell, it was late.

I use phpBB and I'm pleased with it. There are tons of hacks for it which add more features that aren't built in. Their support forum is very large and very active. You'll need a host that supports PHP for any of the above mentioned forum packages.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Personally I think invisionboard is far superior to any of them. phpBB just looks featureless compared to invision... and while I woulnd't dream of using 90% of the stuff in forums now-a-days, it's lacking key features (like attatchments) tha require external hacking.

Also invisionboard has a hack called a mod-installer... freaking cool, do one real hack, then every hack afterwards is simply uploading and clicking a button. Lots of mods at www.ibplanet.com too
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I use phpBB and I think it's good. They have tons of mods.

Member #
    I use phpBB, and I agree that there are some important features that require hacks to install. phpBB also has a mod-installer that once you install, it installs all other hacks.

There are also versions of phpBB that you can download that already have tons of hacks installed. I found that they had way more features than I wanted to and it was more work to disable the unwanted mods than to install a fresh copy and only worthwhile mods. Invisionboard might have the same thing, look around for "enhanced" versions of these forums too if you want a tricked out forum.

Remove Ads