Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    hi guys, im about to start making a website that lets you browse various items of furniture. I want to set up a dream weaver template which allows me to draw data from a speadsheet/database for prices and descriptions, and then also allows me to draw images form an images folder. All depending on what the customer has selcected, ie chairs or desks etc.

My question really is how do i start going about this? id like to try it very simply at first, maybe with just a few choices of image, and just a few cells in a spead sheet.

But ive never doe this before, and dont know where ot begin. Please could someone point me in the right direction, and or help me out here.
    There seems to be nothing on it in my dreamweaver 4 help files.
    Oh by the way, can this be done in dreamweaver 4 for mac.

Thanks

I look forward to picking your brains!

Ger

Member #
    hi, have i posted this in the correct section?
    Also i dont have microsoft access, but i do have excel. Can someone recommend where to go from here

thanks

Member #
    i will give you a bit more infromation while im here.

im using a mac, os9 (but can upgrade to os X if the software someone recommends me is for that platfrom only).
    And i only need to be able to access a simple database of furniture items. So nothing mega-developed needed.

ive been reading various threads and tutorials, and people seem to recommend php and mysql, would these be simple enough for me to use (im a simple dreamweaver, relative beginner, but good with flash)

and also i have read i need 'web server' software. could someone enlighten me here too

Thanks in advance
    Ger

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Yeah use PHP and mySQL if you can.

If you can't, then use ASP and some database... like... ACCESS, or some ODBC resource.

It's not going to be magical easy to learn databases in like a day, it takes time, so don't have your hopes up.

Also, stop posting like 3 or 4 times in a row, its annoying and people will stray away from your post. Edit the first post and say EDIT: or something.

EDIT: Forgot to tell you that your supposed to wait 15 hours before a bump, I think.

Member #
    i was thinking access maybe easier for me as it is designed with an easy interface, (so ive heard) but looking on amazon.co.uk there doesnt seem to be a version for osX.

What do Mac web developers tend to use? will mysql be very hard to pick up? or is it similar to access?

sorry for flooding the thread, i was just trying to give you more infromation. I will use edits in future.

Thanks newfiewebguru.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Let's start out with what you already know. Do you know Access? What web design skills do you already have?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    thanks wired.
    Well im fairly conversant with flash. And ive done some dreamweaver sample site on my uni course.
    I dont know much about access though. But am fairly savvy with mircosoft office applications.

But ive just realised that access isnt available for mac. A tutorial i was hoping to follow: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...tml?tw=backend

recommends filemaker. Is this the sort of route i should be heading down instead of mysql?

Thanks for your time.
    Ger

Member #
    I'm not great with databases myself, but there is one thing I know, and that is DON'T use Access for a db driven website. There are many reasons for this, but I am only going to name a few:
    - an Access database usually resides in the same location as the rest of your web content, and that, coupled with the fact that it is notoriously a very slow database, will result in very long access times when u retrieve or add records to it.
    - It corrupts easily. Your data is not very safe in an access db, and you can easily lose data during times of heavy use.
    -Very little security. Access lacks greatly in data security as opposed to the more popular databases out there

If you're going to go the ASP route, and you have the money, get a Micrsoft SQL server database. Besides being much faster and more secure than Access, you only need a SQL query analyzer in order to create and manage your database. Many hosting companies have SQL server database packages, which you manage remotely using an analyzer to query your db.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Maverick... where do you get the idea that your access DB has to be stored in the same spot as your web content? With PHP when you use ODBC you can connect to a DB anywhere on your harddrive, and even off of another server I think.

ASP works well with it too. But still I'd use microsoft SQL or mySQL over it any day.

Member #
    Sorry, I didn't mean that it HAD to reside in the same location, I meant that most people that use them, ususally place it there. And yes, even with ASP you can use ODBC to create a system DSN to access the db remotely. But, if someone can afford to put the access db on another server, why not just go the extra mile and get an MS SQL db?

But still I'd use microsoft SQL or mySQL over it any day.
    Thats my point exactly.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads