Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can't figure it out. Site looks as intended in mozilla, but IE rufuses to play fairly (even though I'm sure it's coder-error). Can someone please help me?

http://bob.warpspire.com
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

JR
    Member #
    Try it without the 'style' bit?
    JR

Member #
    AFAIK, IE cannot do the background-transparant property at all, though i hope i'm wrong, as i plan on needing it in an upcoming project...

Member #
    I'm almost positive I've seen it done before in IE, though I haven't seen any sites using the property for a while.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    filter: alpha(opacity=80);

Member #
    you could just make those divs that you want to be transparent, have a background image that is identical to what you see in Mozilla, so they appear to be transparent.

I know this would slow down the loading time of your site, but at least it would work in all browsers. Maybe you could use javascript to use the background-image property if the user is using IE, and background-transparent if they have anything else.

BTW, you might want to decrease the transparency of those divs too, I find the text pretty hard to read against the background. Or maybe blur the area that the divs cover, so the bg is more uniform.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey, no offense but it seems only 2 people in this thread have looked at the link/source.

Also maverick... that's going to KILL loading time and make things totally not worth the effort.

I get the correct result when I use this same coding but don't put it in tables and use css positioning... there has to be another way however.

JR>> same result... That style bit was an attempt at a hack anyway.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Well, with proper compression (probably gifs) the file sizes of the bg images could be kept to a minimum. Also if you could implement the property switching depending on the user's browser, with javascript like I mentioned, the longer loading times would be restricted to IE users only.

Besides, who uses IE anyway?
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Where are you trying to make it transparent? In the HTML or the style sheet? I cant find anywhere in the CSS tagging anything as transparent or no visibility, nor in the html. Im probably missing something, though I doubt I would be of much help anyway.

I actually wanted to ask a question: What does the filter command do in CSS? Ive been using style sheets and studying every one i come across for a couple of months now but ive never seen that before.
    Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.
    John Wayne

Member #
    Oh yeah, somewhere on this site there were a few pages on different techniques for transperancy effects:

http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
    Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much.
    John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads