Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    There are many choices to webdesigning today ... A bunch might love all the flashy interfaces and animation while some prefer pure CSS. Javascript with html is also an option.

And me ? I've played around with html, css and photoshop for some time. And i would like to hear some answers regarding this question below. ^^

Is using pure css or html (tables) better for positioning as in the prospect of ensuring compatibility with the mostly used browsers ?

My thought is using pure html for positioning while using css and probably javascript for styling.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    i prefer using a tableless designs. There is so much more you can do with css then you cant with tables, its just taking a while to wean people off of tables. And to be honest i have found myself from time to time using them to throw a design together quickly.

Tables have the advantage of being a very visual way to design a webpage.. you put a cell where you want it and throw an image or some text or whatever in there. Css on the other hand can get arbatrary. Its harder to design for but it has so much more expandability. Take for instance people who brows the internet from pda's or cell phones. (ive even heard of some appliences that have internet capabilites) They do not have the same resources as computers to handle the processor intensive taks of handleing a table based design so your pages will load slower. You might ask yourself, who do you know that uses pda's or cell phones to surf the web and to be honest not many people, yet. But the desire to do that is growing among consumers. You can also take the accessability argument with people with disabilities, really this is more of an issue that web standards is trying to address but css is a big part of web standards. Structuring your source so progrograms like screen readers have an easier time reading your design to a blind person. There was a thread here not too long ago from a person who was blind. He described what its like browsing the internet as a blind person, and you should try to find that and read up on it.

WIth a table based design you have your content and your structuer mixed into one document with css you only have your content in your document and attatch your design onto it. So when it comes time to do a redesign, you could simply attatch another style sheet.

However the problem with css is that browsers are still being slow to implement it correctly. and alot of users out there still use older browsers.

If you have never been there you should check out www.csszengarden.com . Each design is keeping the same html page, only switching out external style sheets.

Member #
    Thnx for the comment glyakk. I am sticking with CSS.

I have a new question. I made a website .. that is i think we term as liquid design. The contents fit nicely and adjusts itself to different resolutions.

However i have a banner that is 800px in width and it goes out of the page. A horizontal scrollbar will appear. I have seen websites with banners too and the banner itself becomes smaller in width to fit in.

How can i achieve that effect?

Member #
    To enable your site to not scroll at resolutions of 800 by 600 pixels, your website should be no wider than 769 pixels really. Therefore, you should make your banner this width, which AFAIK can go up to about 780 pixels, but no larger, and this will cause scrolling only on resolutions below 800 by 600px.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Just as justslivyalife stated you must first ensure that your banner is the proper size.. in order to have it expand or more likley to give the illusion of it expanding you will need to have a horozontally repeating graphic that is set as the bakground of a container div that also expands as your window expands.

Here is a link i found really quickly that will help explain what im talking about.

http://www.mardiros.net/liquid-css-layouts.html

Member #
    Ah ~~ thnx for the link. It should help greatly ^^.

Remove Ads