Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey all -

I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with horizontal scrolling page layouts. I'm assuming that originally, the way they were made is with tables in long rows with blocks of content (paragraphs, images, etc), and at this point I know how to do this in CSS, however I was wondering if there's another way to do things besides in blocks.

For example, if I had a ton of text only, and didn't want to sit around and figure out the height of each block of text per column (to match the layout, and the possibility of changing screen resolutions)....is there any way to get columns to flow into eachother? or.... maybe a column effect to use in one div like in say... Word?

I'm making a wild guess that that effect isn't possible yet, but if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to throw them this way.

As a note, the idea in my head for the content section of the site would be a horizontal strip that runs through the middle of the viewing space, roughly 400px in height... ish... you know, you've seen it. ^_^
    http://www.pixellatedfool.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    There is no way of doing it with html or the css1 or css2 specifications. (One things the css3 specification is going to address is paged content styles so this might be possiable then).

In the meantime, you might be able to do that with some scripting. You could 'draw' your blocks and only allow a set number of text-lines from a database into each box and flow the rest of the text into the next box, and the next and so on and so forth across horizontally..

interesting idea and would be fun to try, but probably not be practical for viewers.

Member #
    Thanks man, that's a good solution, though I think you're right about the practicality issue. I figured that would be the final word. Cheers to blocks of content. ^^
    http://www.pixellatedfool.com

Remove Ads