Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, my name is Nigel , I run a computer firm in colorado...My programmer bailed so I have had to figure stuff out quick....

I have a loose handle on html as I just watched a linda.com.. seems easy enough...I think I could make a straight html page with a flash file in it....

Some of what I did was look over what my buddy had done and I noticed a few things lol......

This page doesnt have a closing head tag( 2nd head tag)....I am not exactly sure where to put it....

www.ultimatechcc.com also is there unecessary stuff in there?

On this page I am unable to see meta info when I try to use addweb to list it... www.cfagallery.net

You will see a gateway page with meta I included and you will see meta swish generated...If I remove my meta info(first group) Addweb doesnt see any meta info...If I leave it in addweb sees the swish meta which is no good....

lesson 1. do not under any circumstances write the entire page in flash. lol...or no one will ever see it ...

ok question. should I move straight to php or asp, what db should I learn,,,I sorta get access but I sorta need sql I think. I put a snitz forum here. The pages I have mentioned are typical of what I have to do, but people want some e-commerce stuff(simple like banners). I have had to blow everybody off for about 2 weeks. Fortunately everyone stuck with me they think I am merely swamped....

www.thegraphicdesignresource.com

when I get that done I will be handing out brouchures etc. again....Usually I am so busy I can't deal with it. So it is now my intention to use that site to farm out work to people all day....ie:lots of photo touch-up for reproduction and website graphics and animation...Not quite there the page is an eyesore lol.....As for the forum I just need to change my connection string and fix the file upload and download, and of course the look of it....There is no integration from the website yet....

Thanks much,
    Nigel lew
    www.ultimatechcc.com

I look forward to lurking until I am a code monster....and can help out....:bandit:

Member #
    To me if looks as if you already have the closing </head> tag in there... am I missing something?

Member #
    Sorry, I resolved that one, I should have made a post. I fixed that this morning, It just had an extra tag in it causing it to report as such when I ran this little util. It wasnt needed I guess the page still works...

thanks
    Nigel

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Maybe it was better your programmer left you. Learn HTML and stuff yourself and blow this guy out of the water, save yourself some serious cash in the process.

Member #
    thanks my friend I'm way on it html is cake...

I am a total math idiot so it always freaked me out but as soon as I had to deal with putting a snitz forum on a site I am doing now I realized its not math at all its a language...I just want to make sure I wire html/xhmtl and style sheets I think? before I move to asp, but I may just leap to php if possible because I am interested in doing pages that sit there and sell stuff, but do it right...I am signed up as an affiliate with everyone from macromedia to kaspersky so I am pretty much ready but I have an entire firm to deal with so I have been sleeping about 4 hours a day and spending most of my time figuring everything out and keepin it together...as far as websites go I can already write the html part and make professional flash files I just need to make the connection of how stuff works regarding db.s etc.. I couldnt write asp yet but I have edited the snot out of the forum so I sorta get inclusions now but unfortunately its sorta the cart before the horse....

Thanks again...
    Nigel lew

Should I read something in particular? I just ripped through linda.com's learning html, the guys using dreamweaver or something.......boring, I like homesite I think, however the more I learn the more I want to write the stuff out paper?? thats kinda weird...??

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Good for you on using homesite or another text editor instead of Dreamweaver or other WYSIWYG editor.

http://www.w3schools.com/ is a great place, if you havent look at it you should.

I am not sure exactly how far you are wanting to go with your your knowledge of web design, but personally I reccomend you learn XHTML. Or at least learn proper(standarized) HTML markup. XHTML is almost identical to HTML so its easy to code but is based on XML so it will force you to write valid code. Also I reccomend learning CSS, and using it instead of tables for layout. Using these two technologies you will have well formed valid markup that will get its style from an external file that you could switch out when you want to redesign or change something in your site, Instead of having to drudge though tables.

And trust me it will be easier to learn now instead of having to unlearn everything later.

Member #
    Sweet thanks, I think I am headed in the right direction. I will take another look at the video and then scrach out a page without using flash to make stuff work...and of course wil pass it along for scrutiny...

Greatly appreciate your help
    Nigel

Remove Ads