Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Going by the "web safe colors" the lightest shade of grey I can get is #CCCCCC.

Is there a lighter shade of grey that I can use and still be confident that it will look fine on almost all browsers?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    (I realize I could use a simple gif as my background and do it that way, but I've always kind of wanted to know how much you need to stick with those "web safe colors".)
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've never had any trouble with DDDDDD and EEEEEE - Personally I think the web safe palette is becoming a bit obsolete so most greys should be fine or at least approximate to something acceptable.

I know transio has a couple of much loved greys as well, I'm sure he'll chip in with the hex, I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Member #
    Actually, those were the exact two I was thinking of. I feel a little bit more confident using them now, thanks!
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    like mossoi said... web-safe colors are pretty much goin' out the window now that computers/monitors are getting better and better.

i also never had problems using ddd or eee or even e2e2e2, etc...
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    in photoshop that I find very useful when yo double click on a colour on the pallete etc. it gives you the rgb and hex so you can put the slider on gre and then right at the top and it comes out with something like "FDFDFD" and its very pale.

I dont fully understand "web safe colours" although I have heard of them, so I do not know if this is what you want or not.
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    Dragon,
    web-safe colors is just a predetermined pallete of colors that will display the same on just about eveyone's monitor. But now since virtually no one uses 256k color depth or below (usually 16bit , or 32bit [millions of colors]), there is no point in worrying about web-safe colors.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I see,

thanks
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    EEEEEE IS WEB SAFE !!!

Look here:

http://starship.python.net/crew/frie...colorcube.html

Although only 6 grays fit in the "web safe cube", there are 16 in all that are REALLY web safe. That's because VGA supports a total of 256 colors. You think the other 40 colors just disappeared because they're not in the "web safe cube" ?? The FULL palette is comprised of the "cube", the "grays", and the "pure colors". If you count the colors on that page and eliminate repeated colors, you'll see there are exactly 256 of them (VGA).

Nowadays, it's ok to use other grays, too. My new favorites are E0E0E0, F0F0F0, and F8F8F8 for light grays.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Originally posted by mikeycorn
    (I realize I could use a simple gif as my background and do it that way, but I've always kind of wanted to know how much you need to stick with those "web safe colors".)
    Just wanted to point out that if you had a user that was stuck in the stone age and was only able to see colors that were deemed websafe, or the basic 216 predefined colors that all monitors and programs are supposed to support. It wont matter if the color came from a gif, hexidecimel value, jpg, a movie, or whatever, they wont see that color the way it is supposed to be displayed. It will default to the closest color that system is able to display. Your own system will do that if your system was set to 16bit color depth but you were trying to view an image thats set to 32bit. Not all the colrs in the image would be displayed 100% correctly, but you probably wont notice it because the defalt is almost identical to the proper color.

For instance try to see much of a difference between #05743E and #06733F.

But like everybody else I have not bothered with web save colors for years. Books or other reference that suggests that you use websafe colors were probably written between 1995-2000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads