Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,
    I was put on a web design project at work after it was mostly complete. My assignment is to create an XML/JavaScript navigation tree. I did so, and I am loading into each page with an inline frame. I have run into a problem though. Yesterday I was told to keep the contents of the inline frame from reloading when the parent window is refreshed or unloaded. So, in other words, if I'm on the products page and click on the "home" link, the contents of the inline frame are not to flash at all, as most pages do when they are reloaded.

Frankly, it seems impossible to me to keep a child frame loaded while its parent changes. What do you guys think?

I seriously think that the solution is to tear everything down and start from scratch, redoing everything the right way. We're going to end up with a cobbled together mess otherwise, even if I can somehow make it work. Again, I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks in advance. I value your opinions.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't think it's possible as when you refresh the page you are refreshing the entire frameset.

One way to do it would be to have a frameset that holds the nav tree and the rest as a two frames within that. Then you can target the links to the non-navtree frame. Obviously this wouldn't stop the reload when the user hits F5 or the refresh button.

Sounds like they are asking you to workaround something that is an inherent problem in the original design of the site though.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, use a frameset. Old school frames.

Member #
    It occurred to me that I could use two inline frames (one for the navigation and one for content, with the parent page containing everything else), but I was having some major JavaScript problems and decided it was just too complicated with the way things are set up now.

So... There's no way to, like, preload the thing so that the flash is pretty much invisible?

Remove Ads