Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Layers???

Member #
    I use GoLive as my web design app. and i see that there is a layers palette. I have messed with it a little bit. But im asking an expert, does that mean i can just create an image and put text or whatever i want over it on another layer like photoshop does. Or do browsers not display it correctly?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The first thing you have to relize is that WYSIWYG editors do one thing, they write the source code and what not that you would otherwise be coding by hand. They do do not add functionality to your pages that you could not achieve otherwise with a simple text editor, they just make the job simplier. So layers are not anything special. I am not familar with golive, but i do know that dreamwever defines layers as nothing but some css and javascript wrapped up in a div.. im sure thats close to how golive defines them also.

So to answer your question. As long as the browser understands basic css, all modern browsers do, (even 4.x browsers) then you can effectivly layer elements. In case you are wondering what property you could use to determin what your document stacking order is its z-index.

element_one would be higher then element_two because its stacking order is greater.

Code:
    #element_one {
      position: absolute;
      z-index: 5;
    }

#element_two {
      position: absolute;
      z-index: 1;
    }

Member #
    Yeah, i just wondered if i was missing out on something that every professional web designer used. But yeah, i agree on the compliance of "most" computers. Thanks for the help man.

Remove Ads