Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Fonts...

Member #
    Is there a way to use a font on my website (other than typical fonts in Windows) and still have them properly viewable on users cpus?

I have a killer font that I love, but when I view my website from an outside computer, it converts it to standard windows stuff.

Do I have to save the font as an object and insert it, or something like that?

Or is there a more high tech way of doing this?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You can embed fonts, but it is an extension and should not be relied upon. If you absolutely must use it, use it in an image.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    You can also have the option to download and install the font to make it viewable, but I doubt many people will bother with the time and effort.

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    You can use Microsoft's WEFT tool for embedding fonts as mentioned above - I used this method in the past but often encountered problems with it. - Only certain fonts can support this method.

If its only a small amount of text you want to use it for then you could consider the image route, but you should try and avoid this where possible.

When Windows generates a pop up offering to download things, plugins, software; fonts - It will often push away viewers as they can be associated with viruses, spam, spyware etc. . .

If you designed a site using Flash you would have no problems with what you see looking any different to what others see. - But then again this might be one of the more extreme options.

Member #
    Hi, thanks for the replies.

I think I'll go the image route. I only need it for the header section.

Is there an easier way to convert MS Word to an image file (I'm currently planning on making a text box, copying it, pasting it in paintbrush and saving as .gif or .jpg.

The only problem is, I can't make the text box backgound transparent once I paste it into paintbrush.

Thanks again!

Remove Ads