Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    In my previous thread asking how my site was: http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...&postid=123342 I got a few good suggestions that I want to implement. I simply don't know how to do it with tables though and I don't know CSS so I need some help.

URL: http://test.vicharan.org/NewSite/

[list=1][*]Align the footer to the bottom of the page
    I tried to do this from the beginning, but I can't specify a height of 100% for the page row - it just doesn't work, unless someone has an idea of how to do it.[*]Align the whole page to the center of the screen with the spacer images stretching to the left and right of it instead of only to the right as it is currently
    So I tried to do this and ran into the problem that I can't make a big table with 3 columns with the center being the content and the sides being the spacers because having two unknown widths doesn't work out.[*]Ok, so it's not a table question, but in Firefox, the FAQ page (http://test.vicharan.org/NewSite/nc2004.php?page=faq) has an annoying line break after the number 1 before the actual question for #1 begins. (Screenshot here: http://test.vicharan.org/NewSite/VicharanFAQ.jpg) It's fine in IE and Opera, but not Firefox. Any ideas?[/list=1]

Any help is appreciated. I don't know how turtle dollars work but I'm offering $5 just to see how they work

Member #
    3. Change line spacing to 120% for the text
    Using in-line CSS, if you insert:
    Code:
    line-height: 120
    into your <p> tags, as shown below:
    Code:
    <p style="line-height :120%">text here</p>
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    haha thanks I just removed it because I found that on Google

Member #
    Align the whole page to the center of the screen with the spacer images stretching to the left and right of it instead of only to the right as it is currently
    So I tried to do this and ran into the problem that I can't make a big table with 3 columns with the center being the content and the sides being the spacers because having two unknown widths doesn't work out.
    Put [minicode]<div align="center">[/minicode] before the main table, and [minicode]</div>[/minicode] after the close of the main table, does this work?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    This doesn't work, what you need to do is apply the image you have on the right as a page background that only repeats horizontally, using this code:
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    body { background: url(pagebg.gif) repeat-x top center; }
    </style>
    Then remove that image from the content table. If you center the page using the technique detailed in my previous post, then that will have more likelyhood of working.

Member #
    Originally posted by justlivyalife
    Put [minicode]<div align="center">[/minicode] before the main table, and [minicode]</div>[/minicode] after the close of the main table, does this work?
    The way I have it setup right now is a table with two columns. The column on the left has the content and the one on the right has width=100% and contains the spacer image stretched to 100%.

It won't work to center that whole table - something has to be changed further than that.

Is there any simple way to do all of this in CSS? I really don't know CSS so I'm at a loss

Edit: Trying your CSS suggestion now - one sec. Thanks

Member #
    I just realized that repeating one image won't work either becuase the height of the middle row is undetermined for all the pages since there's different amount of content everywhere. The foooter space has to appear next to the footer and the header spacer next to the header.

I wish I knew CSS

Member #
    I'm not totally sure what you are trying to do, but if you want to center a container, this is the CSS. The text-align property is for pre IE6 browsers which don't understand margin:auto, and the padding is for Opera.

body
    {
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    text-align:center;
    }

#outerContainer
    {
    margin:auto;
    text-align:left;
    width:780px
    }

Regarding the jumping footer, just give the content td a reasonable looking height - forget about aligning it with the bottom.

Member #
    Thanks for all the help - I finally got it to align the footer to the bottom and center the table with some help from a friend of mine.

Remove Ads