Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am having a problem with the layout of my site http://hogfish.net.

I used layers because it was the only way to make the background image fill the whole screen on any resolution yet stay fixed and not tile.

Unfortunately, if it is viewed on a resolution where the user must scroll in order to view all of the page content, the background image only fills up the visible part of the window, leaving large white gaps beneath when you scroll (try reducing the size of the window and scrolling down and you will see what I mean).

I want the background to fill up all of the space in the window so that there are no ugly white gaps for people with low resolutions.

The dimensions of both the image and the layer containing it are set to 100%.

I know a lot of people hate layers with a passion, but does anybody know of a solution to this problem?

Trish

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Trish,

I don't hate layers, but I hate stretching images. They always look bad. Try using something like this - <body background="bg1024.jpg"> - with a javascript to substitute different bg images for different screen resolutions. Just make a different image for each resolution: bg640, bg800, bg1024, bg1280, bg1600, bg1920, bg2048, etc. Believe me, it will be a little extra effort, but a huge improvement in image quality!

Member #
    I'm only choosing images that look pretty good when stretched at most if not all resolutions. Thanks for the advice, but I did it this way so that I could easily change the image without having to generate a whole new set of different-sized images.

Remove Ads