Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Hi i wonder if someone could enlighten me, or point me in the right direction.....

Im looking to create a database driven website for my company, and i am using an apple mac, with Studio MX, currently im trying to decide which Server technology to use, and i checked with my hosts (easynet.co.uk) and they use asp.net.

Great i thought, i will take the time to learn asp.net, but then as i read on i saw that the only dbms it supports is microsoft access (which of course is unavailable on apple macintosh!) so now im at a crossroads,

Am i right in assuming i cannot use asp.net on my mac with dreamwevaer, as there is no dbms i can use, or am i mistaken.

Assuming i am right, i guess i will need to change my service provider..... and i dont have a clue where to turn for a UK based host who supports coldfusion or java or php..

finally, if we DO change hosts, would you guys recommend java php or coldfusion?
    Ive had a little read and it seems as though Coldfusion would be the easiest, but its hard to get a host, failing that Java....?

If someone could get my ball rolling that would be most appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Geraint Lewis

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Umm... well... your DBMS doesn't have to be local. You could have a separate machine on your network running MSDE or whatever. Also, .NET works fine with other databases.

The problem Ithink you'll run into is with the IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Studio MX doesn't appropriately provide all of the tools necessary for developing in .NET, so you'll require VisualStudio.NET, which I believe is unavailable on a Mac as of right now (although MS is always pushing to encompass everything... I think .NET extensions are available on macs).

I suggest that you look into either Java / JSP or PHP, using PostgreSQL or MySQL as your database. If you're just sticking with websites, I'd say PHP is all you'll need.

Member #
    Thanks Transio,
    I have emailed easynet.net asking if they support anything appart from asp , and this was the reply:

'Both servers outlined earlier support ASP and Perl, the newer cluster server, named Office Light supports MySQL. For PHP functionality you would have to upgrade your web package to either Office Host or an FM server.'

I take it from that that i am able to use MySQL, which is great news unless im mis-reading his reply.

Ok, im making progress, so currently im armed with Studio MX, and am able to download MySQL for free from the website....

...Ok assuming i download MySQL, what more will i need? does my SQL act as both a querying language AND the database itself?

or do i need something else to get it all to gel?!

The way i see it at the moment this is how it all works together:

HTML (my case created in Dreamweaver)
    Query Language(my case MySQL)
    Database Itself(what would i use here?)
    Finally where does asp come into all this?

Thanks again, i feel im getting somewhere now.
    Geraint Lewis

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Geraint,

If you're hosting externally, you don't really need ANYTHING locally to develop in. MySQL, as you guessed, is a database, not a query language (I know the name is ambiguous). If you want to develop in MySQL, you can just find a host that supports PHP and uses cPanel X with mySQL and phpMyAdmin. Then, you can develop to the database through the phpMyAdmin web interface. It's kind of basic, but it does the job. To program PHP, you can use Studio MX, Notepad, or whatever you're comfortable in. To test your code, you can upload it to your server and execute it remotely. Not the best or fastest way to develop, but it works!

Member #
    Thanks Transio, So i dont need to download PHP from their website then. As for mySQL, I guess i will be needing that (i have just downloaded it 11mb).

Ok, you lost me on one scentance:
    'If you want to develop in MySQL (ger: which i guess i do),
    you can just find a host that supports PHP (ger:which easynet seems to)
    and uses cPanel X with mySQL and phpMyAdmin.' (ger:these last 3 things have lost me!)

Appart from that last line, which has introduced 3 new things to me, i understand what your saying. (thumbs up!) I will try and find out what those things are via google.

Finally can i set up a remote server until im happy i want to plump for the php upgrade with my web-host?

Thanks Again, your being most helpful

Geraint

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Cpanel x is a web-based control panel software. Integrated with phpMyAdmin, it allows you to control MySQL databases through the web

Here's a demo of one host's cpanel:

http://www.ez-web-hosting.com/ezcpanel/sql/index.shtml

If you go to www.phpmyadmin.com you can see a demo of their software. It's an alternative to developing your stuff locally.

I checked out easyhost, and they support php/mysql on their business plan. They probably have cpanel. You should ask though.

Member #
    its easynet.net not EASYHOST.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Umm... a little advice... switch web hosts. They're charging you an arm and a leg, and they don't support PHP.

Member #
    hehe, right ok.

In the quote i posted in my second post, they said if i upgrade to 'Office Host' then i can get php compatibility.

Can you or anyone recommend a site for good cheap uk web hosting which supports php or the like? i will have a rummage on google.

I have just downloaded phpmyadmin, and now i will have a little look for Cpanel X too.

Geraint

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    JR (one of the mods) recommends http://www.34sp.com/ - UK based, but I've no knowledge of them.

I use http://www.hostony.com - I believe they're UK based also. They're very cheap, although my experience with them hasn't been perfect.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads