Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all.

I just finished putting together a small portfolio site for my web development - got it looking good in Safari, IE for Mac, and IE for Windows. However, the positioning of elements doesn't appear the same in Mozilla for Mac/Win, Netscape, or Firefox.

Here's the site.
    http://homepage.mac.com/slightly99

You may also need to see the CSS:
    http://homepage.mac.com/slightly99/30throad.css

If you view the site using a non-Mozilla browser, the four thumbnails at the top of the page are all contained in the larger border. I use position=absolute to do this, since absolute positioning takes account of the nearest ancestor with a position value (in this case, the table border).

However, the Mozilla browsers position the thumbnails as though their "absolute" co-ordinates were relative to the browser window, not the appropriate ancestor element. (If I try and position the thumbnails using position=relative, all kinds of hell breaks loose, and the positioning of one affects the positioning of another. So that doesn't seem like the way to go.)

Which is right? And how do I get around this without laborious browser-sniffing?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Your absolutly positioned images dont have a proper container, Tables make poor canadates for containers because they have been and warped by browser vendors to be used as a layout tool. My only suggesting is to take your table(tr's and td's also) out and replace it with a div with a position set to relative.

Also you are missing a <td> befor your iframe.

Remove Ads