Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    It's my first lengthy attempt at a form on a website, and I made use of the Basic CGI tool for form feedback from my 1&1 web hosting and was able to get this ugly little page as a start:

http://www.extraxa.com/test.html

It's ugly to look at, but it does the job, sending the email when you hit send just like it should.

Then I took it to dreamweaver, got the thing tweaked to the customer's satisfaction, and tried my first submission and . . .

error 500: and some such . . .

Man, I've compared the two pages and can't seem to find where I went wrong with the second page, can anyone spot why this page is not giving me an email submission while the first link does?

http://www.extraxa.com/apply-now.html
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Have you chmodded/stripped cr the cgi script after uploading it again? That's the most common cgi problem out there.

Also check to see the error in the server's error log. If it's something like: Premature end of script headers it's the problem I mentioned above, otherwise it might be some kind of syntax error in the actual cgi file. Can you attatch the .pl that you're using (I'm assuming) if you've modified it at all?
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Okay, I looked around in the logs folder and couldn't find anything with a .pl extension, and the two log files with today's date were called "access.log.14.3" and "ftp.log". They were very big and very scary looking, but I didn't see anything that seemed pertinent. Let me know if I should post them just the same.
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:

Member #
    I really don't understand what you mean though by "chmodded/stripped cr the cgi script after uploading it" or the ".pl that you're using."
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Did you modify the actual script that's in the cgi-bin folder at all? The one that's here: http://s91288268.onlinehome.us:80/tinc ? That's the one I'm referring to.

Member #
    Not that I know of. I haven't touched it other than whatever was automatically generated with whatever the cgi form wizard created. I was just hoping I could take the original form they created that was working find sending an email on the "submit" button and then just add a bunch of fields to it.

It's probably more complicated than that, though.

What do I do next, Brak???
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ahh yeah, you can't just add fields (usually) unfortuantely. I would think about creating one of your own, does your server support PHP? That would be super easy and I could show you how to make an easy one, if not you can do it with CGI/PERL but it's gonna be harder, that's all

Member #
    Woo hoo! Thank you so much, Brak. Let me check the FAQ and find out what they support!
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Wow, they support a lot of stuff, but yes, it looks like PHP is in there, too.

Here's part of the FAQ if it helps:

http://faq.1and1.com/advanced_functi...sh_/index.html
    ~ mikeycorn

Member #
    Other than having a general idea of what SSL is and the fact that CGI and PHP and SSI are languages for getting the server to do stuff, I really don't have a clue as to what any of that stuff is . . .
    ~ mikeycorn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads