Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I wasn't exactly sure where to put this message, because I both want to know how this page looks, and have any suggestions on it, and also have a few questions. So I thought I'd come to this forum.

I've been trying to learn how to use css. Actually I admit I didn't start to really try to learn it until, err, last night... well not to say I didn't know some about it but yesterday I really went into it.

Anyway I have been planning to rebuild my site, for a few reasons. I wanted to try for xhtml complience firstly, (that was only part of it, I'm not insane enough to rebuild that whole thing just for that). Also so that I had a bit more freedom with what I can do, since I will have built the thing and so can change whatever in it. So yesterday I thought I may as well try out a basic layout. So I made a basic table layout, nothing too fancy or anything; just header, navigation on the left and content on the right, then with a footer. Then I posted somewhere asking something, and also if the equivalent could be done with divs and css, since I had heard from someone before that this is better. So someone showed me an example and I researched about css a bit and tried my own example; doesn't seem to be working too badly. (I will get to my point one of these days, by the way) :laugh:

Ok so first the page where this thing is. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on it. I've had a few friends help me out with this but that is about all. so here is the link to the page:

metawire.org/~cpp_programmer/

Thankfully that is xhtml 1.1 compliant! And css too!

Now for the questions

for xhtml 1.1, is that top line in the document supposed to be:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.1" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Ok also. In this situation, is the way those columns are made in the middle row, the best method? I used float to do that.

With those two links at the bottom, what will be the effect if I float the valid xhtml link to the left but float the valid css link to the right? I have the feeling that they are a bit off-centered right now, and would probably look better on either side like what I just described.

Finally, would it be better to use percentages rather than fixed values? For instance, the entire outside div could be 100%, while the header and footer could be (thinks) 98% to leave room for the padding on both sides? The left column in the middle could be 18% again to leave room for padding and the right column about 78%. I'm assuming in all cases that padding is 1%. would that be better than the fixed width?

That's about all. Hope you don't mind my ramblings. Thanks.

Brandon

Remove Ads