Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Sorry for the drama here everyone, I am a novice web designer and I have been stumped on this problem for almost two months now. The page I am referencing can be found at the following address:

http://www.pgroove.com/quicknews/content_frame.php

The main photo and the five colored blocks underneath it are all a part of one subdivided table. The cell padding is set to 1. I believe you can view all of this in the actual source code.

So here is my probem - the page appears as intended when viewed with Mozilla. The spacing around all of the "blocks" is even on the vertical and horizontal plane. However, when viewed in IE6, the spacing is not as intended.

Can someone please help me. This has been driving me nuts. Completely nuts. Any suggestions would save my mental health.
    Thanks, Ben

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Did you set the cellspacing? That can make a difference, too

Member #
    I've actually got the page looking how I want it in IE6 - finally! However, it did not carry over to Mozilla, and now the Mozilla version of the page looks different. I am pretty close to giving up on making this thing look good in all browsers.

I did change the spacing and padding to get it looking right in IE6 - just wondering why it won't look right in Mozilla.

Thanks for the tips....keep 'em coming!
    Ben

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Well you dont have a Doctype so that could be causing the issues because IE6.0 behaves like 5.5 witch is known to have issues with rendering pages(Actually so does 6.0 but we wont start that discussion).. Altough the site looks the same in both browsers to me.. maybe you could be more specific on what the problem is..

BTW: as for the doctype.. put this at the top of your page. BEFORe the HTML tag.
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Member #
    Sounds to me like this is a job for the box model hack.

For information regarding IE's improper implementation of the box model go here http://www.info.com.ph/~etan/w3pantheon/style/abmh.html

Im not sure if you use CSS or are familiar with it, but what you probably have to do is, using CSS, define the correct amount of spacing for both IE AND mozilla. For example, lets say you want 5px of padding around a table cell that is 50px in width and height. A correct implementation of the box model results in a total width and hieght of 60px for the "box", while IE actually puts the padding inside the "box" subtracting the padding amount from the content area, resulting in a total width and height of 40px. So to compensate for this you must use the following CSS:
    Code:
    td {
        padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px;
        height: 50px !important;  /*This is what mozilla will use */
        height: 60px;             /* For IE 5.5 */
        height/**/:/**/60px;      /* For IE 6.0+ */
        width: 50px !important;
        width: 60px;
        width/**/:/**/60px;
        }

/* And Finally the "Be Nice to Opera Rule" */
    html>body td {
        height: 50px;
        width: 50px;
        }
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Cell padding, and padding in general, has the unfortunate fault of rendering poorly. Very poorly. Just keep working on it until you have something that works no matter what browser you have, or follow the box model hack
    Whoth steps forth to mock the teal? Whom couldst say a color superior!

Proclamith me, it cannot be done.

Remove Ads