Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

MOB
    Member #
    Can anyone tell me what the standard web site dimensions should be?

Plus if you have any resources to back this up they would be well appreciated.

Cheers

Member #
    Standard is a very questionable term when discussing the web. There are few "standards", as this thread debates.

As far as size, a general rule of thumb is no wider than 780 pixels. 800x600 is still the most popular resolution, and 780 pixels allows 20 pixels for the scroll bar, and no horizontal scrolling. Height is more tricky, as the number of toolbars a user has visible will determine the actual height of their active browser window.

Member #
    spluf I think you mixed up width and height.

a 780 pixel width will result in no horizontal scrolling, and its the height that is tricky because of the use of different toolbars and icon sizes. I'd like to add though that a good width is much more important than height though, because while many sites scroll vertically, depending on the content, and is accepted by virtually all users, everyone hates to scroll horizontally.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Bah I do that all the time. I edited my post so I look smart.

Member #
    oh thanks alot, now I look stupid.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    For a long time I stuck with 750px, but then after doing a bit more reading decided to knock it up and milk those stray 20-30 pixels, but if I remember when I tried 780 it produced horizontal scrolling... vaguely remember the browser, could have been Opera/Netscape ?

Remove Ads