Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Java in CSS

Member #
    Im sure this is a stupid question. is there a way to put a onmouseover or a alt type thing in a style sheet.

I have in a stylesheet to highlight some text for a special link. I would like to have some text come up saying click here to go to this page.

I could go thru the whole site and add a onmouseover to them all but iM not about to.

Thanks

Member #
    You can add a "popup-tip" as used on a lot of buttons on your OS, just by putting a "title" attribute on the tag:

<a href="http://blahblah.com" title"Click here to go to this page">Go to blahblah!</a>

Also, what you were talking about is Javascript, not Java, there is some confusion because they are apparently the same, but Java is a whole programming language, while Javascript is a DOM

A small village near a small city near a small cit
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    no.

thats the content, not the style. all you have to add to your code is:

Code:
    <a href="whatever.html" title="click here to go to this page">link</a>
    no javascript (or as you undoubtedly incorrectly put it, Java) involved :thumbsup:

EDIT: oops, xarst u beat me to it
    tekp :cheeky: tekponline.com

Member #
    , that happens me every 10 posts or so also...

Member #
    Wouldn't it be better to use the 'title' to write a description of the page the link leads to rather than stating the obvious ?

...because unless the text looks like a link it probably wouldn't be found anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The preferable way is always the title attribute, although you should also never rely on it to display important information. You can use CSS to generate a tooltip but it is always ugly compared to the system one.

Also, it is Javascript, not Java. Java is a language developed by Sun Microsystems for far more powerful tasks than puny unclean Javascript.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanks yall ... I had a feeling and thank you for the corection ... I know it is javascript ... I have to deal w/ a java based system all day at work. GOD I HATE JAVE BASED APPLICATIONS ...Grrrr

I knew about the 'title' attribute but Im not about to go thru the entire site again

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Java is by far the cleanest and best language that I have ever used, period. Each to his own, though.

Member #
    Java is no doubt an increasingly popular language with many great features, the most important obviously being its portability. But I still think C++ is still the best language available today. It is extremely powerful and is much more efficient than Java.
    Thats my opinion.
    www.stevenspoker.com
    "You can't lose what you don't put in the middle, ... but you can't win much either." -Mike McDermott (Rounders)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Now that we're on the tangent, I've been forced to use C++ recently and it is by far the most frustrating language I've ever used. With templates in classes never working reliably, absolutely horrible class syntax compared to Java (what the hell does "class Foo : public Bar" mean..."public class Foo extends Bar" sure makes more sense), pointer hell, dynamic memory allocation hell...I'll stick with my Java.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads