Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I want to setup my site so that the header doesn't have to reload every time someone clicks on a link. Here is an example of what I'm talking about;

http://www.iforged.com/main.html

As far as I know, the only way to do this is with frames. Which I have tried. Everything works except when I try to refresh the page, only the header refreshes. I've also heard of problems with bookmarking with frames but haven't had a chance to try this (but im sure it will screw up as it does with other people).

Is there any way to fix these problems? If not (or if its too much trouble for the result) is there any other way to keep the header image and navigation buttons loaded and at the top while the rest of the page loads/scrolls?

Member #
    I went with the frames layout for a while with my site, only to find (along with the problems you said with bookmarking issues etc) there were problems with search engines reading frames sites and other things.

What I use now is SSI (Server Side Includes). In short, SSI allows you to include a file (like a .html file) to every page on your site. For example, in my site, I have two pages of .html used on every page: header.html and footer.html, which are used to produce the navigation on top and bottom footer on every page.

This allows me to edit either of the two files, with changes seen site-wide. The beauty of it is, you only need to edit one file to make site-wide changes! It really is a dream come true for non-frame navigational purposes.

Here's some more info on SSI:
    http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tut.../includes.html

Good luck!
    BondMovies.com - "Nobody Does It Better."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thuffner
    I went with the frames layout for a while with my site, only to find (along with the problems you said with bookmarking issues etc) there were problems with search engines reading frames sites and other things.

What I use now is SSI (Server Side Includes). In short, SSI allows you to include a file (like a .html file) to every page on your site. For example, in my site, I have two pages of .html used on every page: header.html and footer.html, which are used to produce the navigation on top and bottom footer on every page.

This allows me to edit either of the two files, with changes seen site-wide. The beauty of it is, you only need to edit one file to make site-wide changes! It really is a dream come true for non-frame navigational purposes.

Here's some more info on SSI:
    http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/tut.../includes.html

Good luck!
    im not worried about having to make changes site wide, I use templates for stuff like that. My main issue is not having the header reload every time someone wants to view another page in the site.

Member #
    ive figured it out, no need to reply.

Remove Ads