Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: font-size

Member #
    I have always had some trouble deciding which font-size unit to use. Which font-size unit is the most preferable for menus, and body text?

-pt
    -em
    -percentage
    -px
    -small, normal, large, etc...

These are all the ones I know of, I might have missed some. I have been using "em" for most of my font-sizing, but if a user would resize the text using IE -> view -> text-size, or some other browsers equivalent it makes the text either jumbo-size, or super small, and blurry.

Member #
    I would use "small,normal..." because it's better for handycapped users, I read somewhere

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You might be a bit confused here.... I'll try and explain the differneces.

pt - point, originally concieved for print work, everything is done in "points", unforutnately 12pt on PC isn't even close to 12pt font on a mac, hence my major use with it.

em - this is really a relative font size, it sizes things according to it's outer container. It's the same as % AFAIK, basically 1.0 is the same as outer contianer, .5 is half the size and 2.0 is double the size

percentage - Same as em except it's in percentages 50% is half, 200% is double.

px(Pixels) - Ahh... finally a consistent size. Unfortuantely IE doens't support resizing these font sizes, and thus the issue with font-sizing on the web.

xx-small...xx-large - The original web font "sizes", totally changes platform to platform, browser to browser. Even going from IE5 to IE6 the sizes are different. It's totally unreliable in my experience and I try to stay away from it due to incositencies.

The moral of the story.. I stay with px for now. If people need text resizing, I assume they get a browser that can handle it (any browser except IE - I know it's not W3C spec). If it's mandatory for the site, I build my own text resizer.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    thanks for the help. I like using px too, but I changed to em after I read something about it(could of been from a css validator). Just a quick question. How would you make your own text resizer?

Member #
    I used a 12px font on almost everything I do... and yes, it does validate.

Member #
    Some people will argue that unless you have a really good reason to do so, always use percentages, as it will adapt to the user, and the user will have automatic (in most cases) control over the text size.

If you use internet explorer, and don't know what I mean, try holding down the control key and move your mouse wheel here.

But personally I always use px
    The Temple of Dagon | Dagon Design
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Remove Ads