Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm using cookies for a shopping cart and having alot of trouble with variables just suddening being erased from the cookie. It seems to be a pattern of the oldest fields going first, as I make new ones... is there a limit to how many cookie variables you can set?
    Pixel Fuse - Signature webpage, just a spashpage.
    Flash Frogger - Frogger remake, animated/coded in Flash (incomplete/discontinued)
    Daase Art Studio - Homepage of David Daase, a Canadian landscape artist - image gallery/showcase.
    More links if I think of some...

Member #
    Are you setting a new cookie for each var or all in one? I believe each domain can only set 10 or so cookies at one time.

Member #
    ah ha! that explains SOOO many problems..... man this sux...
    Flash Frogger - Frogger remake, animated/coded in Flash (incomplete/discontinued)
    Daase Art Studio - Homepage of David Daase, a Canadian landscape artist - image gallery/showcase.

Member #
    Create an array of you variables and use serialize() to turn the array into a single string. I think the limit to cookie size is 4kB.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    aha! that would explain things better than the "10 var limit" but... if its a 4kb limit, then even if i DID put all my variables into one cookie entry, the size would still be the same, and so my problem ISNT fixed....

if i used sessions... is there a limit to how many session variables you can set?

Member #
    No, there isn't any limit apart from server memory as far as I know.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    Sessions are as many name combinations as you can make, but I meant 10 seperatecookies... you can fit up to 4kb of var's into one cookie, so I don't see how you would run out if you used the max 10...

Member #
    oh i see what you mean.. i dont really know how to make additional cookie files.... is there a simple way or tutorial i should read?

Member #
    setcookie("whatever");

Just change the name from one to the next and you get more than one.

Member #
    ah! i've been confusing my self this whole time.. ya i already knew how to do that... when u said make a new cookie, i thought u meant a seperate cookie (new file in the windows cookie folder).... ya.. i knew how to make dif cookie vars... anyways.. i've switched over to sessions for this project.. but its stil good to know..

just a question on that... i see you didn't set an expire time.. does that mean it wont expire?

Remove Ads