Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am making a site using CSS. When I get the spacing right for mozilla it is screwed up for IE. Is there some way to fix this so it looks the same for both? Can I put something in my code which has two parts one with spacing for mozilla and one with spacing for IE? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Are you useing a proper doctype? without one your document will throw IE into quarks mode causing it to misinterperate the box model witch will reak havoc on anything you have applied padding or borders to. IE wants to put padding and borders inside the elemnt, when they should be outside. (This is of course assuming you are using IE 6.0, if you are using 5.5 or below, upgrade.)

[searchweb]simplified box model hack[/searchweb] The simplified box model hack will "trick" IE 5.5 and below (as well as 6.0 in querks mode) into looking like its getting the box model correct when in fact all you are doing is widening your element to compensate for space that should be taken up by padding and borders. It will also compensate for a slight flaw in earlier versions of Opera.

You also have to understand what you are telling your elements to do as opposed to just expecting things to work automatically. It could be a positioning problem.

If you want more specific help please provide more information such as a link or your code.

NOTE: if you have a proper doctype on your document but also have something above it such as the <XML> tag (if you are using XHTML). That will also throw IE into quarks mode.

Member #
    I found this page (http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModelHack) very helpful in discussing the various hacks and techniques... thanks glyakk

Edit: spelling

Member #
    Thanks for the help!

Remove Ads