Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am having a lot of problems with IE butchering my website. First off we recently switched to using CSS instead of tables becuase we could control it from an external CSS. Then we started noticing problems with the positioning some elements in IE only. We solved the problem by placing the properties in the HTML document itseld, but I would like to have it controlled from that external sheet so that if we ever want/need to change the positioning of something we can do it with out hassle and without having to worry about the IE slaughter.

~Mark
    Webmaster of http://www.shieldyrbk.com

Member #
    Can I ask which code you were using to call up the external stylesheet? Also, remember that in an external stylesheet there is no need for <style> tags.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Start using a doctype, there's a good article Here expalining why it's a good idea. Once you've done that you can use the W3C Validator to help you find out what may be causing problems.

Take the following, the first line shows what's wrong, the second part shows how it can be corrected.

Code:
    ...z-index=1"
    Code:
    z-index: 1;
    Code:
    <div id = "main">
    Code:
    <div id="main">
    Some people believe that having CSS class/id names with #underscores_in_the_name { cause problems; } I've never actualy noticed whether this is true or not?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by justlivyalife
    Can I ask which code you were using to call up the external stylesheet? Also, remember that in an external stylesheet there is no need for <style> tags.
    Code:
    <link rel=stylesheet type=text/css href=styles.css>

Member #
    Putting double ( " ) quotes around the atributes should allow it to work better.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    XHTML standards dictate that *all* attributes should be in double quotes, and terminated...

ie. <a href="....">x</a><br />

Sean

Member #
    So for the meta and link rel tags, and other that don't require a terminating tag, replace the latter ' > ' with ' /> '

Remove Ads