Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have my page currently setup with a link to print, but when you print the page it gets cut off if you don't have shrink to fit selected. Is there a way to make it do this automaticaly with the link or other method? I already have my pages built as php with some includes but it would be a pain to edit them individualy to make them printer friendly.

Ive also read about the CSS method of printing only what you specify, but its to late for me to go in and edit my pages to not print/print what I want.

Thanks for any replies

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Are you using CSS at present?

If so, making the print render differently would not actually be that different... it may just be as simple as defining the fontsize smaller in the print-orientated stylesheet.

Let's say, for instance, that you have a stylesheet called style.css -- within it you can create two sets of definitions...

Code:
    @media print {
       ...all your print-orientated style definitions here...
    }
    @media screen {
       ...all your screen-orientated style definitions here...
    }
    Sean

Member #
    Seems like a great idea, but I have images that would restrict this from happening width wise. I'm looking for something so that when they click the link for print it will automaticaly fit the page to print

Member #
    you could use <link rel="alternate" media="print" href="print_version.doc"> this would print an alternate document when you print the page, therefore you would not have to edit the page at all except for adding that.

Member #
    Didn't seem to work, am I placing this code in the head? Seems like a great idea though

Member #
    For anyone who is interested this script works very well, after some digging I found what works really well

http://www.mikenew.net/printfriendly.php

Give it a try

Remove Ads