Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    To write to the file (which I'd suggest a mySQL db but you can do whatever), you have to chmod it 777. In your FTP client it's probably called Properties, and the raw FTP command is "site chmod 777" when you're in that directory. I think.
    bearjam131 wrote on 04-03-2002 12:33 PM:
    It didn't work, but than you for trying, anyway. What's wierd about it it that I used $SERVER_ADDR for the last 2 days and now it seems like it wants to start working. :-)

Can you take another look at it when you get a minute? New problem. If you scroll down the page when it comes up, you will see it. How do I go about getting it to write to the ipinfo file? Where do I set the permissions for writing to it?

We might as well learn together, huh? :-) I will be registering my vbulletin soon. I juts set it up to play with it and see if I liked it. It has a lot to offer, but it is alos very confusing. How good are you at the settings and such? :-)

filburt1 wrote on 04-03-2002 10:41 AM:
    I'm new at PHP too ...maybe $LOCAL_ADDR?
    bearjam131 wrote on 04-03-2002 06:58 AM:
    Thank you for the welcome. I am trying to set up a froum my self and think your forum is great! Any suggestions or ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. Also, your thing that shows the information about the users (cookies, and stuff like that), I am interested in learning how you did some of those things. I am doing a page on my site that will give some information to the user also. You can check it out at logo.php and let me know what you think, if you will. I haven't figured out how to get the server IP address yet, do you know how to get that? I tried <?echo $SERVER_ADDR?> but I keep getting an error that says $SERVER_ADDR is an unvalidated error while coding it. I'm real NEW at php programming as you can tell I'm sure. :-)
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Ok, I understand that, but it is just a small file that only has the last users info in it so I figured it wasn't worth the trouble to add to the database. Now, this is where you find out how new I really am at this. How do I chmod the file? I use Windows Commander as my FTP client. Willl fixing it so it can write to the file also take care of the other 2 errors? Thanks for all of the help. :-)

im not sure how to do it w/ windows commander, but i use WSftp LE, which is free for download... and you can quite easily chmod files with that on the right click menu...

Member #
    I feel stupid.

Now I really feel stupid...I did just as you told me and answered my own question. :-) It worked (of course). But I had to do a chmod 777 ipinfo to make it work. Now, do you have any idea how to get them host name for that entry. Apparently I'm still not doing it right? :-)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    To get the hostname for an IP just do it however you got the hostname for $REMOTE_ADDR *searches php.net*

Member #
    Eric,

Thanks for the info. In Windows Commander it gives you a command line option across the bottom of the page and all I had to do was change to the 0 drive (default ftp window drive) and enter the command like I used to do it from DOS (rememeber those good old days?). Have you ever tried Windows Commander? It is a file manager like the old Norton Commander with 2 windows side by side. Best program I have out of all of them and the one that gets the most used. :-)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Originally posted by bearjam131
    Eric,

Thanks for the info. In Windows Commander it gives you a command line option across the bottom of the page and all I had to do was change to the 0 drive (default ftp window drive) and enter the command like I used to do it from DOS (rememeber those good old days?). Have you ever tried Windows Commander? It is a file manager like the old Norton Commander with 2 windows side by side. Best program I have out of all of them and the one that gets the most used. :-)
    never tried windows commander, i might just try it though... and yes i remember don, i have to use it on the computer that is in my room, its a piece o **** 486 running win 3.1 and dos 6.2... i love it more than anything though...

Member #
    That is already in the file. :-)

Member #
    You'll never know how you go along without Windows Commander when you try it. That's all I use for FTP and file management. You can get it at Windows Commander . He's out of Europe and the program is the best! Let me know how you like it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads