Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi don't know if i posted this to the right bit or not but here goes!!
    Right i am building a site which i can do all but one part. I need a search function in it so it can search txt files. I want to be able to select the txt file i want to search from a list on the webpage and then type the search word in press search and off it goes searches the correct txt file and displays any finds a bit like a normal find and replace search in a word processor. Probably biting off more than i can chew with this but if it can be done any help would be greatly appreciated

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Welcome to the board, Dan!

This is more of a programming question than an HTML question, so I've moved it to the appropriate forum.

This can fairly easily be done, but it would have to be done using a server-side programming language, such as PHP or ASP (raw HTML and JavaScript alone just aren't gonna cut it in this case). So the question I (and probably others) have is: what language(s) does your website host support?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi thanks for that,
    The page will not actually get published to the web it's gonna be used as a in house piece of software more than anything. It may even run from the server but we are just going through the pro's and con's at the mo. If you say its fairly easilly done then we will probably go for it!

Thanks again

Dan

Member #
    We will be setting up an intranet fairly soon so this is why we want it kept web based if pos!! Thanks Dan

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahhhhhhhhhh. Okay. Well in the case of an intranet, it's going to depend on the languages your Intranet server supports. This is an issue you're going to have to discuss with your server administrators though. Once you've got that information (the languages) we can point you to general resources that will help you figure out how to code the stuff. We can't do too much more than that though, given the confidential and relatively sensitive nature of what you're doing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The intranet is in the pipeline and a little while off so i just wanted to get this written and sorted so that can be used!! With the intranet in mind though what would be the best language to use and can you nudge me in the right direction

Many Thanks

Dan

Member #
    I have decided to go for ASP if anyone can give me some pointers on this it would be greatly appreciated

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtec...ect/faq2.shtml

That will give you pretty much all you need to know.

The only thing I'd suggest other than that (and this is more theoretical than practical) is to have some kind of relevancy algorithm for your results, similar to that of a major search engine. Now how you define this algorithm is up to you, but there should be something.

Member #
    OK mate thats excellent cheers for your help!!

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not a problem! Just let me know if you need anything more (or better yet, check out that 4 Guys from Rolla site in more detail. There's a ton of good stuff on there.)

Remove Ads