Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What's all your frameworks of choice?

Personally, I keep coming back to Prototype.

I've gone around, played with jQuery, moofx and MooTools -- but while I love their code approach, the QA & testing is really bad. I find I'm spending more time fixing core problems with MooTools than I ever did with prototype.

Plus, I've found prototype's DOM helpers are just so immensely superior to jQuery & MooTools. It's all supported, it's all backwards compatable, and I can do everything I want with just a few semantical methods. Oh, and Prototype's Enumerable/Array handling is absolutely fantastic.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, I fell in love with Prototype as soon as I found it. I *heart* Ruby's Enumerables, so having that functionality in Javascript is a huuuge boon. Then there're things like the $() and $$() shortcuts. Things also just make sense in Prototype. For example, being able to use enumerables to do something like:
    Code:
    [ 'id1', 'id2', 'id3' ].each( Element.show );
    Is... I want to avoid saying `awe-inspiring' :-D

To me, it's a testament to Javascript's flexibility how awesome Prototype is. It's just damn cool.

Member #
    Jquery is good if you love usability. Moofx is cool for great effects like physics style div tags and prototype was awesome Scriptaculous' scripts had some nice effects also.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I should mention that Scriptaculous is built on Prototype, so when I say `I *heart* Prototype', `I *heart* Scriptaculous' is implied :-P

Member #
    Hmmmm... point taken

Member #
    I just found jQuery and I've pretty much fallen in love with it. I haven't tried Prototype yet, but I'll have to check it out.

Member #
    jquery, testing on moo.fx but Prototype can conflict with certain scripts i found and caused a bit off hassle so i try to stick to jquery. solid and reliable:-)

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I'm using YUI. I haven't really tried Prototype yet.

YUI helps a huge deal with things like custom events, animation, Ajax, etc. Plus, it's just as free as Prototype.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I tried YUI for a bit but I found it didn't deliver the results I wanted as fast as jQuery. By that I mean I couldn't figure it out as quickly. I also prefer jQuery's syntax.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There are a couple of things I like about Prototype, some due directly to how much I like The Ruby Way (tm):
    • collect, select, detect, and all the other iterators straight out of Ruby. Makes so many things so much easier.
    • Unafraid to modify core objects. Some people find this annoying, and it can at times wreak havoc on other scripts, as Karloff said, but that's because it's very opinionated -- do things its way, and it will make life a hundred times easier. Don't, and it'll get in the way. I'm okay with this approach.
    • $w -- a nice way to create an array out of a set of words.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads