Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Question

Member #
    Hi,

I am currently working on a web-based application that should operate as a web-based application to help mentally disabled / spastical children that cannot talk or write to communicate. I'll spare you with the details, but, basicly it displays a set of symbols which the children should be able to browse through. Input comes through two big buttons that are attached to a switch-mouse (A mouse emulator). Now, one button simulates a left-click, one simulates a right-click. And I need the program to take these as a tab and as a enter (or as functions that have the same result) - one to jump on one box, one to activate the selected box. And, also, the program must register the time a button is pushed. Since most of the kids this program should run for have little motorical control, just touching the button isn't enough - they have to hit a button and stay on it a certain time (that is defined by the teacher). We're using an Apache Server, MySQL and PHP. Is it possible to do the functions we need to do with javaSCRIPT or a similar coding language that we can easly integrate into HTML? Or should we just go ahead and shoot ourselves because this isn't possible?

Thanks for your assistance,
    Jeremy

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Jeremy,

It's very possible. You can trigger a javascript event when the button is rolled over, another when it is clicked and yet another when it's rolled off. The first rollover could create an object and initiate an interval sequence. The click could mark a timestamp of that event, and the roll off could mark another timestamp and trigger a function that determines the time they spent on the button and the time spent on the button since the click. It could then send the captured data to the server by way of an iframe or a modal dialog, which would return a value telling the page what to do next.

If you need additional help, just post it here.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Oh, and the click event can also return the button that was clicked (right or left).

JR
    Member #
    i remember responding to this question before, but can't find it anywhere ... is this a double post?
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    What was your response? :-P

JR
    Member #
    you could only use double clicks or clicks, not left and right mouse button...
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Oh, but you can :-P

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Here it is!

When you click on either image, it starts the timer and registers the button that you clicked with... when you roll off the image, it stops the timer, registers the id, and alerts the user with the figures, then resets everything.

Is this what you need?

Member #
    lolz its not very acurate with the timing. i tap the button and it sits... and sits... then tells me i help it for 8.3 seconds or something. :laugh:
    If there is no god, then who pops up the next Kleenex?

Member #
    Pretty cool Transio. Seemed pretty accurate on my machine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads