Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I'm using a jQuery plugin called Cycle to create an image slideshow effect on the home page of this in-development site. The effect works great, except in Safari 2. In that browser, according to two separate reports, the first image fades to white without ever displaying the other images in the show.

Could some of the Mac users out there (1) confirm that they see this on their machines, and (2) tell me if a similar thing happens with the demos on the Cycle home page? What about the demo on this page?

I think the problem might stem from the markup I'm using, and this extra information will help me narrow things down. Thanks for your help.

Note: Older versions of Safari are not part of this site's compatibility target, since the stats for the current version of the site show that less than 1% of visitors use those old versions. If you happen to be using Safari 1.x, however, I'm definitely interested in learning what the slideshow looks like in that browser.
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    Okay, I set up a page of minimal Cycle test cases to whittle this problem down to its essence. (Note: Test cases 1a and 2a will pause if you rest your mouse cursor next to them, because there's no CSS applied to constrain their width.)

I asked my client to take a look at those tests. Some of them use the same markup structure as the "official" Cycle examples, which he reports work perfectly for him. After viewing the test page, however, he reported some odd results:

When I first loaded the test page, all examples of the animation were working. After a while, the top one, Case 1a, stopped (paused) but did not go blank. All the other cases continued the animation. I reloaded the page and then all cases faded to blank white space. I have reloaded the page a multiple times and the animation now fails consistently.

I just reloaded again from your link, into a new tab, but did not open the tab for a minute. When I did the animation was working. This seems pretty consistent -- tried it four times, if I do not open the tab for a minute, animation works. If I open the tab right away, before the first fade, or have it open in a new window, it fails.
    Can anyone using Safari 2 confirm this behavior on the development site and my test page? So far I've only been able to get confirmation that the slideshow fails in version 1.3 (as expected) and works perfectly in 3.0 beta. Before I fiddle with this further, I want to make sure that this problem isn't isolated to my client's computer.

If this is repeatable, does anyone have a suggestion for how it might be fixed?
    Zenscope Studio
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    you can now download Safari for PC from apple.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit7500
    you can now download Safari for PC from apple.
    Yes, but that's only the 3.0 version, and it's a beta release. This problem is occurring in the stable release version, 2.0.4. That version is only available for Macintosh (which I don't have).
    Zenscope Studio
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Tested in Konqueror, which is the same rendering engine, and...

Demo site - "Learn to Cruise..." is displayed but no other images are.

Test page - case #1a, fine. case #1b, bird is fine but other two scroll in then disappear to white, case #1c is completely bust, #2a fine, #2b is bust.

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This... http://www.zimmy.ca/projects/swift/ ...may also replicate the issue on Windows... I'm not currently on Windows so can't tell, but it claims to use the Safari rendering engine...

Sean

Member #
    Thanks, Sean. I put up a new version of that test page sometime late last night or early this morning, but for the life of me I can't remember when. If it's not too much trouble, could you give it another look and tell me if you're still seeing the same thing?

As for the dev site, what you describe is exactly what my client sees. I've also gotten confirmation from one other Safari 2.0.4 user that the slideshow is busted.

I've already given these pages a spin in Swift, but it doesn't support opacity at all. It rolls through the images happily, but there's no fade. I've had a bit of correspondence with the author of the Cycle script, and he thinks the fade transition is likely to be the cause of my trouble. It's looking increasingly like he's right.
    Zenscope Studio
    www.zenscope.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The same, I'm afraid.

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Careful about equating the KHTML engine with WebCore... Even in Safari 2, WebCore had significantly better handling of a lot of things, including Javascript, than Konqueror does even now.

Member #
    Well I can tell you the only one that works properly in Safari 1.x is the one on the Cycle homepage
    - gah!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads