Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    The problem site is here.

I hope I am right to put this in Javascript as the error but not be from js but when I validated the site all of the errors are from the js script.

I didn't get error before but I must have deleted something somehow or my total lack of knowledge of js could also be the problem anyway....

In IE6 when the mouse hovers over a link on the index page it causes the text to move to the left. Also in IE7 hovering causes a slight a blinking effect.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also if the validation errors and the hover problem are unrelated any explanation of why would also help if that's not to much.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Member #
    I'm not seeing the text move in IE6. It seems to jump because of the text COLOR, but the position isn't changing, at least not here.

Most of the validation errors are due to using capital letters. In XHTML (familiar with DOCTYPEs?), everything has to be lowercase, including onmouseover and script and a.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    The version of IE I am seing this on is 6.0.29, since it doesn't seem related to js I might repost in html to see if anyone can see what I see.

Thank you for the js information. I am familiar with doctypes but js... not so much. If I change from caps to non caps will that effect the code?

If not what would you do
    Change the doctype to html instead of xhtml or change the js to lower case?

Thanks for your help!

Member #
    Forgot to tell you, I like your work on WineEnthusiast. I really like the way you layed out the top navigation. A lot of links without using dropdown menus. Nice work!

Member #
    Thanks for the props :-)

Changing to lowercase will not adversely affect anything.

Changing the doctype to html will result in less errors, but it's going backwards. I think it's more beneficial to you professionally to get your stuff to validate in XHTML.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    No! A common misconception! HTML and XHTML are equal standards. If you just want to lay out a web page, HTML will be just fine.
    Amateur high school web developer. I'm at yerich.net if you want me.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yerich
    No! A common misconception! HTML and XHTML are equal standards. If you just want to lay out a web page, HTML will be just fine.
    HTML is SGML. XHTML is XML. They are by no means equal standards; HTML has long since been deprecated by XHTML--and by "long since", I mean about five years.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    HTML is still a current standard, strict, trasitional or frameset. I do belive that HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 were released at the same time, as two seperate standards with their own seperate usages. I may be wrong, but it won't do anyone any harm whatsoever to use HTML instead of XHTML.

Member #
    Ah, sorry about that. HTML was deprecated, but its still very much usable. I sort of mixed up a few of the links in the W3C recommendations website. They should do a better job with navigation. See following:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ - HTML 4.01
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html/ - Latest versions of HTML, XHTML.

I manage to make a fool of myself in front of everyone else yet again.

Member #
    I'd still prefer XHTML over HTML any day though. But then again, this is my opinion. Others may differ. That's why we have multiple standards here. To allow choice.
    Hyperair

Remove Ads