Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: MooTools & SEO

Member #
    Hey there folks,

Straight off the bat let me just say that I know nothing about javascript, and I do mean nothing So if this sounds silly by all means flame away, just note that I did state my level of expretise in this field

I have recently seen a site feature I think is fantastic and wanting to emulate this feature I went on a hunt to find out how it was done. It was made using the mootools javascript framwork. Now the site itself is http://www.jek2k.com and the feature is the drop down "sitemap" using the "feeling lost" button.

I think this feature on the site is massively slick and cool looking, but as I am developing my site primarily in XHTML and CSS, I was wondering if content placed in this slide out javescript window would be SEO Friendly.

I am asking this because I will be running a big SEO campaign on the site and would prefer not to jeopardize rankings for the sake of 1 cool feature.

Any help, advice or notes would be thakfully welcomed
    David

Member #
    i believe that it probably would help and harm you seo.

basically the spiders would see the sitemap all the time, they would ignore all the fancy javascript hide/show features therefore having a sitemap would provide links throughout the site at the top and be beneficial.

however, having the sitemap at the top would shove you content down and it may be better to have the sitemap at the bottom

hard one to call

Member #
    I agree with Karloff - what I'd recommend to duplicate the effect in a better manner, would be to place it in the HTML in the end of your document, and use CSS/JS to reposition at the top, as well as having a link to your sitemap in case your HTML code ever hits above the 101k/mysterious search engine "size limit."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you are truly afraid of your SEO, you can make this be created entirely in JS (i.e., get inserted into the page after the page is loaded so that crawlers don't see it but browsers do). You can even fetch it via an AJAX request from the server so that you can still keep the site map in HTML form.

There are ways around the problem, basically. And that's *if* you don't want that present. Having a site map on every page is basically the equivalent of having a menu on every page -- especially for the site you pointed out, whose other navigation is actually surprisingly minimal, mostly because it's a blog.

Remove Ads