Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all.
    I'm doing a site for my uncle. He owns a small optical business and wants me to design a website for him. He doesn't want anything big, just max 5 pages which includes about the business, works, qualifications, contact and maybe news. Not much. I don't think it will even need to be done with php or dynamicaly generated, as there are few pages and little content and almost no user interactivity, except for the contact form. So I've decided to use .html extension and do a static website. I don't think it's worth doing otherwise, as the website will not likely grow for a long time.
    Anyways, due to little content, I've decided to use a javascript tabbed menu, where all of the contetnt of the website is on the one page, and you switch from 'page' to 'page' with the click of the tabs, and with the use of javascript, it changes. Pretty cool.

So obviously there is a heavy reliance on javascript on this site, for the navigation.

So I was wondering if it is ok to use javascript as the source of navigation becasue it is not a server side sript - it relies on the user having javascript support. I'm aware of most users having this, but do you think using javascript is ok for this? Bearing in mind it is a small business and most likely traffic to the website won't be really high.

FYI I know (X)HTML, CSS, and a touch of javascript. No php, although I'm planning to learn php and js soon. So you can imagine that I found the JS on the net and I cut and pasted it and am now customising it.

Also, when javascritpt is disabled, the content just shows up as if it was all on one 'page'. So it's not too bad without javascript.

The site I got if from is here: http://www.barelyfitz.com/projects/tabber/

Any comments are appreciated, thanks

Diddy.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Javascript tabs are fine as long as they degrade gracefully. By degrading gracefully I don't just mean that when you have JS off you can see all the content, I mean that the tab titles are actual headings in your page and the content is still clearly delineated in sections -- they just all show up at once. As usual, the tabs become a detail on top of the structure.

Unless your dad's business brings in a lot of geeks, you're unlikely to run into anyone who has JS disabled, to be honest.

Member #
    I mostly agree with Shadowfiend, as long as the content is still visible without JavaScript, and the content has the headings instead of the tabs without it....should be fine.
    Semantic, Valid, and Accessible Design!

Member #
    Thanks for the replies gusys. When Javascript is disabled it does put the content into clearly defined sections with headings, so it doens't look too bad with js off.

In that case I think I'll keep with the tabs, thanks for your help.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    jQuery Tabs degrade really nicely - because they're based on fragments, they turn into a linked list with javascript disabled.

Member #
    Thanks Steve, I'll check it out.

Remove Ads