Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm making a small website that will be displayed in an IE window embedded in a 3rd party program. I'm also writing a c++ plugin for this program that needs to act as a data source for the website. I'm in the planning stages, so how I do this is undecided, but each method I think of comes with questions, so here they are:

1. Use Xml-RPC++ (scroll to bottom for example) as a library to respond with xmlrpc to the page. The page would get or post to http://localhost:[random] and receive a result. Questions: Would going from the file:// javascript to http:// violate the same origin policy? If not and this is possible, whats the best way to communicate with an XMLRPC server?

2) The program the plugin is written for is designed to intercept programname:// hyperlinks in the embedded browser. It could send the querystring to me that way. I can then execute arbitrary JS functions in the browser. Technically speaking, how is this different than the javascript using XMLHttpRequest and supplying a callback function, which, when called, would populate a table, etc.? This option would certainly be the easiest for me to implement, and I could send a big whopping string of xml to the callback function from my plugin

3) Some other protocol, like JSON etc. As long as you know of a server-side library in c(++)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I believe same origin is limited to the same protocol and (when applicable) domain. You can, however, write a proxy server in most cases so it tricks the Javascript into thinking it's the same domain.

What is your overall objective? All I can determine is that (I think) you're writing an ActiveX control that acts as a middleman between some Javascript and some collection of data stored on a server somewhere.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads