Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is it possible to have areas of websites that can be edited by the user with javascript? For example, I have to make a timetable for our intranet so that users can click on rooms that they want to book, and the timetable gets updated immeadiately for everyone. Is this possible? Any help would be much appreciated

Member #
    I pretty sure you can't do in just javascript, because the message or whatever information their're gonna put needs to be stored somewhere. If you know PHP (or maybe crappy ASP or JSP) you could store the information in flat files (regular text files) but that could be slow depending on the size of the organization. I would suggest running a database (such as Mysql -- it's free!). However, if you're running a database, you'll probably need to be running a local webserver (Apache -- it's free!). You would also need need a server side programming language like PHP, ASP, JSP, or ColdFusion to access the database.

Again, you would need:
    1) A web-server (local) -- you could use Apache, or you could use a microsoft server, but you would have to pay $$$ for it.
    2) A Database (local) -- you could use Mysql, or you could use microsoft's, I thing it's called exchange server, but that would cost you $$$.
    3) A server side language -- you could use PHP, or you can use Microsucks ASP, or Sun's JSP, or Macromedia's Coldfusion but those would cost you $$$ ( php it's free)

They use PHP on this site. Look at the address bar.

good luck :beard:
    I cannot self terminate, you must lower me into the fire.

Member #
    cool, thanks for the help. Just one thing I have no idea about PHP is it as simple as javascript and do you know of any websites where it will give me instructions on how to do it?

Member #
    if you programmed in C before, it should be simple. The syntax of php is very close to C's.
    This site has some php tutorials, you might be able to learn from them. You can also try http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials.php
    I cannot self terminate, you must lower me into the fire.

Member #
    - Brian

Remove Ads