Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Its time

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    ok, i have pretty much got the hang of php but have little to no use for functions or classes, prefer to hardcode mostly because each project is different and requires modifications to them anyway. my interest is mostly for image transition and other visual aspects not so much functionality as it weighs down the browser and i dont want to be associated with crashing browsers and most common javascript applications can be accomplished with css and php anyway and render much faster. having said that im looking for a point in the right direction to a healthy start in javascript.

any help is appreciated.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    On thing that I wish I had started learning earlier in my journey is jQuery. It makes things so much easier, and the minified version of the library is pretty lightweight. On top of that, all of your major systems are now using it. Meaning, you're loading it up one way or the other, so you might as well utilize it.

http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials:Get...ed_with_jQuery

plus, you can load it from google code to have it load faster and not take a toll on your personal bandwidth quota.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    hey i totally appreciate that. very cool. i will follow the lead.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    A Javascript framework is incredibly useful and, later in your experience, becomes pretty much essential for any moderately-sized project. I use Prototype and Scriptaculous, and for complicated reasons, that makes it the company standard at work.

Before you use a Javascript framework, you'll need to know the language itself so you know what is provided by the language and what's provided by the framework, and knowing when it's appropriate to use one or the other. I recommend a good book on the subject as a start, but make sure it's something very recent, like the last two years at the oldest. Javascript changed a lot since its inception and any old material on it will just teach you terrible and outdated habits.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads