Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: users online.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    keep looking but cant find a solution to delete the session file when a user closes the browser. i can set session time but this is only unsetting it. it is not the same as deleting the session file. so i need to detect the browser closing, then delete the session file. please help. thx.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I don't remember the specifics of how sessions are managed in PHP, but I remember with cookies that you define the cookie without an expiration date (IIRC), then the browser should delete it when it's closed. Could you use this somehow?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    the problem i ran into is using the stored data for this. i can set time limits on session and control them just fine. the problem comes when the session expires the session data still remains and only the cookies relation to the session expires and requires a new cookie. each time this happens it creates another session on the server. all of that gets left behind and builds up. i could script each sign in to identify and unlink the old session but it still leaves me with that dead session entry till they do. so if i used the server session data it will read they are on line till it gets deleted from the serve, which like i said doesnt happen when it expires, only the cookie expires. now i could find a way to set the file to expire by a flatfile entry and unlink on the next generic http request, but that still leaves it open if they leave before it expires, and the potential of expiring a session that is still being used. make sense?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    what i need is a way to call a session from all the session data on the server and confirm that the user session has been called in the last var-time and delete the session if that vartime has expired but i dont know how call or recognise a session in a users browser, i only know how to do it on the server.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    take that back. i know how to call the session data, i dont know how to .................i think i just answered my own question. ill post back

Remove Ads