Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys, I'm new here ... this is actually my first post.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me some tips or links to tutorials that explain how I can use javascript to wipe elements from the source code of a website.

I am building a website for a photographer and it was based on this website:

http://www.davehillphoto.com/

If you examine the source code of the site and look at unordered lists you can see that they've all be removed and appear empty. I'm fairly sure this is done with jQuery and would really like to be able to replicate it so I can remove the location of certain files from the source code.

This it will be especially useful as we move into HTML5 video in coming year.

Cheers

Member #
    They are actually doing the opposite of what you suggest.

The website is using Javascript to generate HTML inside the browser. The list of images is probably being supplied in JSON format by a PHP script.

If you install Web Developer Tools by Chris Pederick into Firefox you can right click a page and select Web Developer, View Source, View Generated Source. You can then see the long list of images in an Unordered List.

I think he is using something called Blaze Image Gallery.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You can also use FireBug to see the original source with generated source appended. It's nice if you know what you're looking for. You can actually watch the html being generated as you interact with the site.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    +1 for Firebug. It's one of the best tools for developers, alongside Webkit (Safari/Chrome)'s developer tools, as you get into more advanced development.

Remove Ads