Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is there anyway to force where the cursor appears when a page first loads?

For instance:
    The visitor clicks on a link and when the new page loads, the cursor jumps to the top left corner of the browser window. I'm trying to avoid possible rollover issues when a user hits a new page. (the buttons on the previous page are located in the same location as different buttons on the following page)

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Member #
    I'm not sure there's a way to do that, but even if there was, you're talking some pretty major usability issues. I would focus more on figuring out how to solve the problem without trying to mess with any of the input devices from your users.

Member #
    I see your point. I was trying to brainstorm.
    At the moment, I've added a transparent gif that covers the buttons when you first visit the page, and goes away when the user rolls the cursor off of it.

But it means the user must roll off the buttons and roll back on before the on/off states start to work. I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Member #
    What kind of rollover issues are you having? It sounds like you're worried about them accidentally rolling over something on the new page? If that's the case, I'd checkout the jquery plugin called hoverintent. It basically makes it so the the hovers don't take place unless the cursor is over the element for a set time (say 500 milliseconds) so you don't get any accidental rollovers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paintingtheweb View Post
    What kind of rollover issues are you having? It sounds like you're worried about them accidentally rolling over something on the new page?
    Correct. The second page has a set of rollover images (not really buttons) that display different divs in the main content area of the second page. When the user goes to the second page from the link, their mouse position will be in the same place as the rollover images. It just worked out that way because the page layouts are slightly different.

I want to make sure that the default content on the second page lingers before the user tries to rollover the images.

Quote Originally Posted by paintingtheweb View Post
    If that's the case, I'd checkout the jquery plugin called hoverintent. It basically makes it so the the hovers don't take place unless the cursor is over the element for a set time (say 500 milliseconds) so you don't get any accidental rollovers.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Remove Ads