Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    jquery question

i am a beginner with jquery and wondered if anyone could possibly give me a hand with trying to write something for this page; it's a quick little css addition using jquery that i need.

Basically i want to set a div's height using inline styles, based on whether an image is landscape/portrait.

if you see this page: StephenBailey.co.uk | Designer and Maker of Bespoke Wooden Furniture in Alton

Yuo'll see that vertical image in the middle of the 3 is overlapped by the image below it - because the containing divs holding these images are all the same height, and too short for the one vertical image. These images are added thru a CMS so there's no way of setting specific sizes for their individual containing divs. You can view source for an idea of what goes where.

What I want to do with jquery is:

1) loop thru the elements
    2) get the height/width of each image
    3) if the height is greater than the width, set that image's containing div (class "slideshow-container") to have an inline style of "height:460px"

Some points are that there are numerous instances of "slideshow-container" so each one might have to be given an id or something - as it is only the container holding the vertical image(s) that need to have the height style rule added, to avoid this overlapping.

Can anyone help me??

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    wow. that is so overkill dude. you suffer from bad CSS. you don't need to set the height at all if it is built right. you have to many predefined dimensions. a good layout would be fluid and adapt to the content size.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks I appreciate that Dorky, however my job is to just make tweaks to this. so can anyone please help me with the jquery part?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    idk about jquery but PHP: getimagesize - Manual is all you need.

<?php $file = "path/to/image.jpg"; list($width, $height) = getimagesize($file) ; ?>

<style>
    img.class {
    width: <?php $width ?> ;
    height: <?php $height ?> ;
    }

</style>

just change $file = to the actual image path, css .class to your actual class, and index.html to index.php

even if you can't touch the css, it's still overkill to use jquery for this.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Did you figure this out already? I went to the site and didn't notice any overlapping. If you still need help on this, let me know and I'll take a look.

Remove Ads