Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Forget the how, why???

Oh well.

My wonderful applet and web interface are working perfectly on IE (well, mostly) but Netscape 7 (Mozilla) gives me trouble.

The Java applet loads, but in the first line I call the applet from my Javascript, Netscape spews out the error:
    access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission * read,write)

This led me (and several of my colleagues) to a nightmarish journey through the web, encountering monsterous signing tools from netscape and horrible errors from hell.

Here are my components (pretty simple):
    One folder containing html files, two jar files (for the java applet), one dll file (the backbone of the software) and one folder containing images.
    Can anyone walk me through how do I sign these files to make them work with netscape?

Thanks a lot,
    Roy.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    No can do. You have to sign Java Applets the same way you would Active X Controls. The rules are there for people's safety. If you could make an applet that didn't require signing, you could feasibly gain access to their system without their permission.

Microsoft is more lax with the permissions because IE doesn't allow Java Applets at all through its default settings. You have to install Java Applet support after the fact, and it's a pain in the *** to do at all.

That's all based upon Microsoft's attempt to do away with Java entirely, prompted by their broken alliance with Sun Microsystems a few years ago.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Pretty much... if you want to used unsigned applets, you have to have instructions in your interface that instructs users on changing their Netscape settings to accept unsigned applets.

Member #
    Actually, the java applet is less of a problem. When first loading the page, netscape sends an alert that an applet is trying to load and asks for the confirmation of the user.
    Which I confirm.

But then, the first button I push that calls for a function in the applet gives the error I stated above -- "access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission * read,write)"

From combing the web, I gather that the HTML files holding the inline javascript MUST be signed as well, and that's where I am having problems.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    That error is not coming from your javascript. it's coming from your applet.

Apparently you're trying to write propertyPermissions which are read-only?

I don't know enough about applets or their permissions to know for sure, but I'm positive that if you research the java.util.PropertyPermission class, you'll find your answer there.

Remove Ads