Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    okay right now i use a a file hosting program (dropbox) to host my site [ Edit: Link removed. AlphaMare. ]

Sorry - I tried to just remove the link drop, but seem to have somehow lost the rest of the post. Please repost without the link drop. AlphaMare.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There is no such thing as FREE on the internet.... yeah I know... You see things all the time that say FREE.... but If I gotta give them an email address, then it's not free...

Typically any free host that you might find are gonna have advertising that they slam on top of your pages... or a bunch of downtime... slow response times...etc....

From reading the post on here and other places.... if you really want free hosting, it can be found, just you have no one to complain to...

BTW... Did you know Dropbox turned off their authentication the other day for 4 hours ???

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Just PM me if you need free hosting. 'nuff said. That said, I don't know of any ways to get a real domain for free. Subdomains are free though. I'm sure there is some post to host type of thing except you get a free domain instead of a free hosting plan..but that would require some Googling (or Binging or Yahooing) but I don't feel like doing that right now.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 209855
    There is no such thing as FREE on the internet.... yeah I know... You see things all the time that say FREE.... but If I gotta give them an email address, then it's not free...

Typically any free host that you might find are gonna have advertising that they slam on top of your pages... or a bunch of downtime... slow response times...etc....

From reading the post on here and other places.... if you really want free hosting, it can be found, just you have no one to complain to...

BTW... Did you know Dropbox turned off their authentication the other day for 4 hours ???
    what do you mean they turned off there authentication ?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    They updated their servers and turned off authentication for 4 hours to all user accounts.. They caught it and fixed the issue.. But this is just 1 in about 6 things with their security in the past couple of months.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    They didn't "turn it off", that statement implies that they did it on purpose. It was a code update that affected their authentication. Once they discovered it it was fixed in 5 minutes, but yes, the window of access was for 4 hours.

http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=821

In short though, they aren't a hosting company. Don't use it as such.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Didn't intend to imply anything... But actually it was a piece of debugging code the " turns off" authentication ... On their test servers that was not removed before moving to production.

I applaud them for their actions in handling and informing the 25000 user accounts that were accessed at the time of the boo boo... But 6 security snafus in the past months...

You are absolutely right... Not intended for hosting.. So it shouldn't be used as such

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 209911
    Didn't intend to imply anything... But actually it was a piece of debugging code the " turns off" authentication ... On their test servers that was not removed before moving to production.

I applaud them for their actions in handling and informing the 25000 user accounts that were accessed at the time of the boo boo... But 6 security snafus in the past months...

You are absolutely right... Not intended for hosting.. So it shouldn't be used as such
    guys i just want to know of a free host that you guys might like i dont care about adds but i need it to work with iweb and when i reboot my laptop or i shut it down my site will stay up

Remove Ads