Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all!

I'm working on some help documentation for our site. We want it set up so that when a user clicks "Help" the help docs pop up in a separate window over top of the original browser window (a much smaller window).

In some cases the help docs contain links to pages on our site, and when those links are clicked I want them to open in the original browser window, not in the popup. How do I do that? I swear I've done it before, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I wouldn't recommend doing it that way because toolbar popup blockers (including the hyperaggressive Yahoo! toolbar popup blocker) will kill the popup.

But what you're looking for is a way to name the different windows so that you can control which window the link targets. Something like this:
    Code:
    function loadURL (url, target) {
        target.window.location.href = url;
    }
    where you'd define the target as the parent window (which you'd name) when you create the popup.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A much better way... And slick (in my opinion)...

Use CSS... jquery... To create a section on each page that only shows ( slides into view ) when the user clicks the link... No parent/child issues...

Using jquery... Will allow you to do all kinds of slide in... Over current content... Or push the current content out of the way...

Another option... Grey box... Screen actually opens a semi transparent pane over the current page... With you content in a visible window...

Most everyone these days are running some sort of pop up blocker... So opening a modal window is really out of the question if this is something you visitors will want to use.

Remove Ads