Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I haven't worked a whole lot with APIs and I'd really like to wrap my head around this particular aspect of an ongoing project I have.

I currently have sign up form implemented on a PHP driven site (wordpress as CMS). Among the fields, there is a "keyword" field. My client uses keywords for mobile marketing and uses a 3rd party vendor to manage available keywords, analytics and a bunch of other stuff that isn't pertinent to my question. I have an API from them and proper documentation:

[SIZE=15px]Parameters:[/SIZE]

· API Key (Provided by 3rd party vendor)
    · keyword (mobile phone number)
    Optional Parameters
    · shortcode (Valid shortcode for client only)
    · startdate (Valid date/time in the fomat:” YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS” or “YYYY-MM-DD”)
    · enddate (Valid date/time in the fomat:” YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS” or “YYYY-MM-DD”)

If a shortcode is not provided, a default shortcode is selected.
    Start and end date must include leading 0’s if needed. The time is automatically converted from client time-zone setting to server time. If no start/end date is provided, then the system will automatically choose the current date as the start date and current date + 5 years as the end date.
    Example Request:
    http://www.3rdpartydomain.com/extern...ate=2011-06-26
    Example Results:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <result>
                <status>success</status>
                <code>0</code>
                <message>Keyword Available</message>
    </result>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <result>
                <status>error</status>
                <code>20</code>
                <message>Invalid shortcode</message>
    </result>
    Ideally, I'd use the form that is already in place, use javascript to capture that field data, request the XML data, parse and ultimately verify weather or not the keyword is available before the form is actually submitted.

So my questions...

1) Am I on the right track.

2) Can someone point me in the direction of a tutorial or two that would help me better understand this process.

Thanks.

Remove Ads