Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi all,

I want to add a little slideshow to my personal website (which is still in developement) and I have found a straightforward tutorial which shows me how to do that with jquery. I have a few questions and am not sure what to do with the plug in......

1. The link to the plug in takes you to the following page to download http://malsup.com/jquery/cycle/ and when clicking the download link it just takes me to a page with the script on. Do I just copy and save the script onto a blank notepad document? if so what file extention do I need to give it etc?
    2. Assuming that I have downloaded the jquery library, the cycle plug in and written all the code required, when uploading the finished site to a server are there any specific requirements I need to check with the hosting company to ensure that jquery will run?

Your help is much appreciated

thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    yes, copy/paste to notepad will work.

name the file with the .js extension.

All javascript is Client side so there should be NO server side requirements, although I have heard it mentioned with some FREE hosting providers restrict the usage of anything except HTML and CSS.

if you host does allow the usage of js ( any paid hosting provider will ), then the most common issue with it not working is that the reference to the js include is not correct. either the file doesn't exist on the server, or the path that you are using for it is not correct.

you can check the path by calling it directly from the browser like you would any page... the only difference is most browsers will invoke the "file download/save" if the file is on the server, if the file is not on the server ( or where you think it is ), your browser will display the error 404 page not found error.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    OK, just went there, you can "right click" on the links for the js file, select "save target as"... and it will save the complete js file onto your computer.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    cool, thanks. So when you mentioned "js include" I assume that what you mean is the reference within the head section of the page that looks up the file, kind of the same way as linking an external CSS stylesheet?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yup, very similar, just llol at the demo site to get the exact syntax for calling the external file.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    cool, javascript/JQuery is defo on the list of things to study in the near future, but for now I think I have enough to run through the tutorial for a basic slideshow. Thanks again

Remove Ads